Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I have the date, but now I am not so sure.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I posted in here over a year ago about being on a wait list for surgery on my neck. The plan is to fuse my c5 and c6 vert together. I have a deformed vertebra and it causes daily pain.

While waiting for my admission date I fell pregnant and had twins! They will be just over 6 months when I am set to have the surgery. I have been told I will not be able to lift my children for at least 6 weeks. I will not be able to pick them up on Christmas day.

Also there is a 60% chance the op will do anything for the pain. It may even make it worse! They neurosurgeon says that he has NEVER seen the deformities I have and his colleagues said the same.

Obviously I am having second thoughts. I was ok about it until I got my letter today. It seems so final. I am scared and worried and I just wanted to hear from people that have been through it!

Also, what was recovery from something, like this like?

• It is perfectly natural to feel apprehensive and everyone here who had the same decision to make feels equally nervous. I would feel more concerned if you did not feel like this, it is an emotional time taking that leap of faith into a projected future with no guarantee, everybody wants these situations to go well and it has been a long build up, you have done well coping with your beautiful twins while incapacitated and yours is a hard job when you are fit let alone restricted.

The alternative is to do nothing and for most situations this is not the best plan in the longer term irrespective of the pain, we are all tentative as our own date arrives and the reality of what is about to happen is difficult even when you have waited for some improved outcome and expectation. This is about you and not the representative 60% even if it was 1% and none of this process is easy for anyone.

I waited 18 months for my Op and it was a long time to consider the future and the impact of the decision and potential success.

You know this is the right decision in the long term and the objective now is to get yourself into the best possible position, communicating your fears starts this process in that you can evaluate all the options that now confronts you.

Given time you will be more able to do those things that we all miss when incapacitated, your children will love you for who you are, not who you think you should be. My own children were 5 and 4 when I had my Op and twins always looked desirable from a distance, all that work all at the same time.

Take care, be positive and find the support here that you need.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Firstly congratulations on on the birth of your twins, how wonderful. I understand it will be very upsetting not being able to pick them up, especially on Christmas day, should you go for the surgery. As someone with 3 adult children, and now grandchildren,and a Great grandaughter, I have always been disabled, there are always ways to sit on the couch and give them hugs and kisses, you will find a way I promise.

You have a hard decision to make, whether you should have surgery or not, nobody can help you with that unfortunatey but we can be here to support you.

Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Welcome back to Spine-Health and congratulations on your beautiful twin baby girls. Boy, are you a trooper having twins with a bad spine. Way to go!

Anyway, like John said, it's perfectly normal to feel scared and apprehensive before having spine surgery. I felt that way too before mine and had to take anxiety medication to get me through until surgery. I really think you'll do fine. I know that there are moments when you think you should just cancel it, but you need to give yourself the opportunity to feel better in the future. Of course I'm not offering an opinion whether you should or shouldn't have the surgery, but if you have already made that decision with the blessing of your doctors, then it's time to get fixed.

I didn't think the recovery was too bad. If you keep up on the pain meds to stay ahead of the pain, then that will help. I think the first couple of weeks are the worst and hopefully they'll be over quickly.

We'll be here for you so you always have someone to talk to before and after your surgery - we'll help you get through it as much as we can.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk or have questions. Take care.
  • I felt exactly the same as you. I wanted to wish you the best of luck with the surgery and the babies! I did the surgery now I'm healing. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I'm just impatient!