Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

medial branch block

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
I've had pain for many years now in my lower back. A little over two years ago I had a 2 level fusion of L4/5 and L5/S1. One level did not take and after fighting with my doctor and getting worse by the day I got a second opinion. Come to find out he said I would never fuse in that area without a revision. I had also been walking around with loose hardward and micro fractures in my sacrum area and around one of the screws. Needless to say the second doctor did the revision and I am was better than before. Solid fusion both levels and loss of leg pain. The new pain is worse and never stops. I'm over medicated and a recovering alcoholic of 4.5 years. It is hard for a person like me to take narcotics but it is now a necessary evil. I'm going in for a medial branch block next week in hopes of getting some releif. If that does not work we will try to take out the hardware which my doctors say could be part of the problem. All I can say is I am tired and very frustrated.

• I am really sorry that you have joined the ranks of chronic pain sufferers. I have had good results from a medial branch block but the relief was very temporary. I am wondering, what type of pain meds are you on? Is it something that you take frequently throughout the day or are you on a long acting 1 x a day med? I suppose that either would be difficult while recovering from a disease such as alcoholism. I really can relate to the frustration and being tired of being cut, prodded and poked to no avail. You have found a great place to come to for understanding and support. Please keep us posted with your progress.
  • I too am so sorry to hear of your great pain. Please try to hang out around here and get to know some of these wonderful members. They can offer you so much support :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.