Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have an angled cervical plate?

gethealthyggethealthy Posts: 303
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Does anyone have an angled cervical plate?

I have a long plate due to doing 3 levels. I had an x ray yesterday and then had to have a cat scan due to concern about my plate not being vertical. It's angled.

The doctor is concerned. I see him today again to talk about the cat scan. If he was surprised he obviously didn't know about it. It looks like it had to be that way since surgery unless my vertebrae allowed it to slip to my left side.

He asked if I had trouble eating and such and I said it's a bit weird but I can deal with it. He mentioned we might need to take out the plate and I cringed. I do NOT want another surgery so I'm hoping it can stay this way.

Has anyone dealt with this issue?

• Yes, mine is crooked also (I have the plate with eight screws like you do). I asked the x-ray tech about it and he said it was normal so I didn't say anything to my surgeon and he never mentioned it to me. Here's my post-op x-ray:

What caused them to take a second look at it? Are you having symptoms because of this?

• How cool is that? How did you get the photo on the post?

Mine goes to the left and is a bit more crooked. I was getting checked to see if the PT did any damage when he did all the manipulation of my head. I couldn't stand not knowing if the pain he caused actually injured my neck.

I was taken back when I saw how crooked it was so the xray tech asked their doctor who reads the x rays to talk to me. He thought it was done that way from the time of surgery and doubted if the PT could have caused the plate to travel.

My husband told me to take the x ray straight to the surgeon. I did and he got me right in. The surgeon was concerned about the angle. English is not his first language so it's tough to talk to him sometimes.

He asked if I was in pain and I tried to explain that the PT hurt me but am doing better since I quit but the stress of not knowing if I was hurt was making me cry and so I think my pain is due to that. I just had to see if the PT messed things up. When I saw my plate I had an out of body experience so I am tense and thus hurting more from that I believe.

I don't know about you but when I get upset my pain level shoots up. I can be a 1 or 2 and then shoot up to an 8 when my body tenses up due to emotions. I so wish I could not get upset EVER but life doesn't like to go smooth.

Thank you so much for showing me your cool x ray. I don't know why my surgeon was surprised. I'll find out today at 1:30.

• It is cool to put your xray, isn't it? I'll PM you how to do that so we can see yours too.

Oh, yes, stress is a major pain elevator. I try really hard not to get stressed, but you know how it is. And as you and I both know, having the same surgery, we thought that after the surgery we'd slowly get back to normal and would return to our previous lives fit as a fiddle.

Well, today is my 1-Year anniversary for my surgery and I'm far, far from where I thought I'd be. I remember when you first posted here and I though that if anyone was going to get back to normal after this surgery, it's her. So I've followed your progress (or, sometimes, lack thereof) and read most of your posts. We're in the same boat, my friend. At least we have company, huh?

Anyhoo, let me know what the doc says today.

• Yeah partners in pain LOL

congrads on your year victory! I still want to come in for a home run. I'm just getting struck out a lot. This is not an easy journey that's for sure. I know I won't be back to normal. How can we with our crazy necks? You have lovely long neck by the way. It looks just like mine!

I have truly never felt as vulnerable as I have with this surgery. I'm just starting to not be as afraid of someone touching me. My husband has been cool about me sleeping in another room.

My husband and I burst out laughing when we read on my post op papers that sex was ok after a week but you needed to be the passive one. We thought this person must have a boring sex life. I could barely take a hug until I was 2 months along!

I must say that I'm taking life at a slower pace which is nice. I don't have to be wonder woman any more. I would like to be strong though.

I have been given the ok to lift up to 20 pounds now. I use to lift up to 40 pounds now 5 pounds feels heavy! It's just crazy! I consider a brisk walk a great workout because I could just barely stroll for so long.

Thanks for keeping track of me. You've helped me a TON!
  • We had a scare there.

It turns out my surgeon was concerned because one of the screws is near my main artery! ugggg that's not good but he said I'm fusing so there's a low risk factor and he doesn't think we need to take the plate off.

I did a happy dance! I did not want more surgery and I'M FUSING! He said we're not out of the woods yet but things are looking very good.
  • I work in the industry in Maryland. Unfortunately, with longer contructs (multi-lvl plates)it can be difficult for the surgeon to position the plate perfectly vertical due to the exposure and distraction and retraction devices in place during the procedure. Has your surgeon stated that the discomfort is due to the pre-existing plate? If so, the plate would have to be removed and repositioned. If your pain is due to adjacent level degeneration (meaning stenosis or impingement at the disc above or below the plate), then there are devices than allow the surgeon to fuse the next level without removing the plate. These devices are stand-alone cervical cages that are self anchoring, meaning that the natural disc is taken out, a cage put in fille dwith bone graft for fusion, and the cages use micro plates to anchor themselves within the vertebra, eliminating the need for anterior plates like you have. The best device in the market is made by LDR Spine (EDITED) and the device is called ROI-c. It is plateless and screwless! And I have seen great results with this time and time again. If interested, your surgeon would need to contact a DePuy Spine distributor to get this device. Good luck to you.

Link removed by forum Authority Cath111. We do not permit publishing spam links.
  • I'm doing much better. The pain I was feeling was due to an overzealous PT that was twisting my neck. Fortunately no damage was done I just had bad cramps for a bit.

This sounds amazing! So no plates are needed even with a muli level fusion? If that's the case I will be telling my surgeon about your product. I pray I don't ever need to have surgery again but if so this sounds fantastic!

Thank you so much!