Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

the recovery begins!

YankeeYankee Posts: 108
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:37 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
well,i had my 2 level neck fusion c-5 c-6 surgery Monday and returned home Tuesday. all the pain and numbness i had before the surgery is now gone!.I am having pain in the back of my neck and shoulder area but i think this is surgical in nature and will lesson with time. my pain level is only a 5 if that. i l00k forward o a good recovery! i will update here as i progress
advertisement

Comments

• That is terrific. Glad that nasty pain is gone and once your incision heals you will be so happy! Be careful with your recovery and follow Dr's orders so you have the best outcome.
  • When i saw your post i saw look. I thoght that was 100 thousand dollars or cost of the surgery. I figure that's what it is worth to you when the results are so good. :-C
  • Wonderful news! May you continue to recover nicely and all the best to you. Don't overdo it!

Take care,

Judy
  • Great Yankee!

Get some good rest and keep us informed.

Julie
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    is stop using the computer. One of the quickest ways to aggrevate cervical problems is computer usage. Wait a while before you jump back on here.

When you are further along you will have time to make more posts, but you will always need to consider just how much time you spend on a computer.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I had a nice sleep last night only awakend by the sore butt from recliner lol! today there is a marked improvement in pain level!. Although I am early in recovery lf this level of improvement continues at this pace I will be a happy man. all pain and numbness I had before surgery has not returned at all! I hope and pray others here will have simular results and return to a fullfilng and painless life!
  • hi yankee
    im so glad you are ok please dont over do it
    one day at a time.
    alot of us were sayin prayers for you and will keep doing so
    take care
    go slow
    rest
    sleep
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • well,I made it through another night! I tell you its not easy sleeping in a recliner chair with a neck brace on your head. I find I am lucky to get 2-3 hours sleep a night. Then I remember I am just starting out and still have MONTHS left to go. I can say on the positive side the pain hasn't been near as bad as I had imagined it would be. in fact I find it to bearable. I walk each day for exercise. Lets hope the day to day improvements continue!
  • WOW! what a difference a day makes!. Last night I managed to sleep a full 8 hours without waking up even 1 time!. I got up 1 hour ago and have not yet had to take any of my "normal" pain meds.
    I know I have a long healing road ahead of me but its nice to have a morning such as this one. I think my NS has done a wonderfull job with my surgery as each day since has been better then the one before it!. I hope and pray others will be blessed with fast healing and less painful days!
  • Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Have you started doing pt yet? Maybe the pain you are feeling in the shoulder area is from the trap muscles just below the shoulder blades. I had a 2 level fusion 7-27 and I am still having some muscle spasms in the trap area. For me pt helped along with ultra sound. I also have a tens unit that I wear almost always while I am at work(ticket agent)

Hope this info helps and hang in there it does get better.

Jewell
  • I dont believe I will start any PT for quite some time. my NS has not brought it up with met all. I unload trucks for my job I may have to find another trade for my future work. I am thinking of just driving trucks instead of unloading them.
  • I'm doing great but haven't noticed anyone mentioning the difficulty swallowing. I have found that Chloroseptic spray helps right before I have to get my meds down. I wish my dr. had mentiioned it..took me 2 days to get the idea. I came home same day with the only discharge instructions to not drive for a week and no heavy lifting. Excruciating arm pain is gone but like everyone else, surgery pain around neck and shoulders is not fun. Planning to go to work for 2 hours today and went to a chicken stew the day after surgery. Am I one of the lucky ones? I'm only 45 and my dr said my neck was pretty bad for my age and we are contributing it to years of competitive sports. Good luck to all.
  • Each day things are improving I got another full 8 hours sleep and again woke up without pain! I am starting to really believe the hands of my N S were guided by the almighty himself!. I know I have a long healing proses ahead of me but the way my post opp has been going I believe my healing will be a compleate success!. I also am blessed by my loving wife's help from the daily stresses that everyone faces. My only wish is that others on this forum will do as good as I have
  • hey Yankee,
    when does the swallowing get better? I feel today like I have a giant furball stiuck in my throat. 4 days post op adlf c5/7
  • Not much new to report today. I again had a full nights 8 hour sleep. I haven't taken any pain or mussel pills now for 2 days. Today my NS is sending over to my home one of his nurses I guess he wants me to use some gadget called a bone growth stimulator.
    I am unsure if this device does anything I tried to get information on line but all the studies I found were inconclusive in their findings. I did notice one common thing that happened in all the studies . The bone growth stimulator cost each patient between $3500-$5000 to buy.LOL
  • I found this information on Orthofix's web site:

Will my insurance company pay for the device?
    Insurance policies are different depending on the plan you have chosen. If guidelines are met, the bone growth stimulator is accepted and approved by the majority of private and public health plans, including Medicare, Medicaid and workers’ compensation plans.
  • I am happy to report another 100% pain free day again and a wonderfull full 8 hour sleep!. Since these reports are pretty stable in nature I will now be doing them only 1 time each week unless something dramatic happens out of the ordinary. My hope is others considering this surgery will be able to have a "heads up" so to speak on what they might expect during recovery. I started using a bone growth stimulator yesterday and will continue using this device 4 hours each day as directed.
  • well, its 3 days post opp although all arm pain and numbness i had before surgery is gone 100% I am getting increasing pain in back of neck and upper shoulder area. I dont think the pain is nerve related just normal post opp type pain. I guess time will tell (note) It was related to me that a steroid was used in my surgery area at the time of my surgery to prevent swelling the effects of this steroid ware off about 72 hours post opp. This explains the slight pain level increase
  • I know it hasn't quite been a week since my last update but I wanted to know my post surgery recovery continues to improve! I had a minor setback yesterday but it was due to a dumb move on my part. I had my computer mouse on the left arm of my recliner chair and it fell to the floor I jumped to the left and turned my neck hard left without thinking. The pain was like getting hit by lightning! At least level 10!. Fortunately the pain level dropped within 1 hour to only level 1. It seems I only pulled a mussel in my lower neck and upper shoulder area and did no damage to my surgeons fine work!. (I was lucky). Anyway when I woke this morning I had no lasting pain from the incident. I learned a important lessson I must engage the mind before any actions regarding neck movement. Other then this my recovery remains on track I feel I am a lucky man. I pray others that have this surgery will have a recovery such as mine. see ya all again next week
  • Glad to hear you're almost fully recovered. Your surgery must have been endoscopic & no long incision. That's what would cause all the post op pain. What exactly did they do?
  • Zack said:
    Glad to hear you're almost fully recovered. Your surgery must have been endoscopic & no long incision. That's what would cause all the post op pain. What exactly did they do?
    You are correct about the endoscopic surgery in fact the ns was kind enough to also take a look at most of my spine while he was in there. He even found a ruptured disk that didn't show up on the scans he repaired it while he was in there I believe he did a good job!. My recovery is still going GREAT! still no pain or returning numbness!. I would let him cut me again without hesitation!. This is a list of their services .Minimally invasive neurosurgery
    MRI diagnostic system
    Siemens 3-D computerized tomography
    Siemens neurosurgery operating suite
    Stealth Station computer-assisted surgical system

I found the whole neurosurgery center modern and at the top!
  • Its another day and my post opp recovery is going great!. If it wasent for the brace I could easily forget I even had surgery only about 4 weeks ago!. I will have to say I consider myself lucky to have found the right surgeon and hospital with the most up to date equipment and techniques in Nero. My energy levels are great I am walking now 3 miles a day. I thank God for his hand in my life!. My only question now is what to do with all these bottles of pain meds that are gathering dust on the counter LOL. I wish all here a speedy recovery and pain free life!. And most important NEVER LOOSE HOPE!
  • That's great!!! When I had an endoscopic surgery, like yours, years ago, I was up cooking breakfast the next morning. Never missed a day of work. I like that method best to correct the problem. Wouldn't have helped me this time because MRI's are not exactly clear, so they needed to drive around in there & check it all out & clean up any areas. I would think you'd be able to drive that truck again very soon - way before March!!! I had resummed all activities within 2 wks after endoscopic surgery. Not after this one though - it was done at a world known top notched facility where people from all over the world come to get surgery & learn how to as well. We are all lucky - hey we're able to come in here & talk about it, huh?!
  • I guess maybe I have passed my first mile in my recovery process. Today I went for my first post opp check. X Rays were taken It was quite apparent even to my untrained eye that I am getting a good fusion start on both levels as well as all surfaces. The NS was happy with the progress he saw I am under 4 weeks post opp I still have 0% pain I am taking no medication at all for pain or mussels. I have no numbness or weakness at all!. I hope this fine recovery continues on coarse.
  • Excellent News. I am happy for you.

Julie
  • Well, my recovery seems to be headed in the right direction!. I am still not taking any meds of any kind. I do have some muscle tightness in the shoulder area but its level is so low I dont feel its even important to treat. So far I feel lucky!. I pray this recovery stays on track and I hope to get rid of this hard collar!. I haven't slept in a bed since surgery, Let me tell you a recliner chair isn't the best place to sleep!.
  • I am happy to report that my recovery is still going strong! I have no pain or numbness to report. I have had no headache or other problems at this point. I am pleased with this and hope it continues!.
  • Yankee said:
    I am happy to report that my recovery is still going strong! I have no pain or numbness to report. I have had no headache or other problems at this point. I am pleased with this and hope it continues!.
    Yankee,

Glad to hear that! Hopefully it will continue and life will once again be normal or close to it! Once my recovery was done with the C5/6, life was great! Glad to hear all is well..:-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement