Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrible Thoracic Spine pain, MRI had only "few abnormalities" any help??

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have a slipped disc between L-4 and L-5 and a chipped disc in my neck that is pinching a nerve that controls my right arm. I have also been diagnosed with RSD (although the pain management doc was not convinced even though a neurologist diagnosed me)but I have burning down both legs that is unbearable which causes me to take neurontin. Even with all of this what keeps me awake all night and hurts throughout the day is pain in between my shoulders...I had an MRI (no contrast) this is what it read:

"The alignment is anatomic. The thoracic kyphotic curvature is maintained. The marrow signal is normal throughout the study. Small Schmorl's nodes are evident about the level of T11/T12. Neither of these Schmorl's nodes is edematous, The disc is slightly desiccated and there is a slight diffuse disc bulge which does not produce neural formina or spinal canal narrowing. A tiny nonedematious Schmorl's node affects the inferior endplate of T7 as well. the adjacent disc is slightly desiccated but there is no significant disc bulge or protrusion. The facet joints appeared normal. There is no evidence of a destructive osseous lesion or other worrisome findings. There is no evidence of spinal canal stenosis. Mild degenerate disc disease is detected."

I cant stand when doctors tell you that the pain you feel is not there. If I was playing the pain card I might as well use an injury in which he acknowledges. The pain is HORRIBLE. He never broke this MRI down and I was hoping somebody could? or maybe somebody else is going through the same thing. I was told by one radiologist that I had spinal stenosis when reading my lumbar spine MRI. Then I was told I did not by another....Anyone else irritated?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    that should be done only by trained professionals. And even then there may be some differences in their readings. This is the major reason I always tell members here NOT to attempt to interpret someone's MRI reports. It can be very dangerous.

However, there are always three key words from any MRI report that is consistent.
    Mild - There is a problem, but hopefully through approved exercise and medication program this will be resolved.

Medium - This problem should not be allowed to continue without some conservative treatment. You want to avoid this becoming a bigger problem that might mean surgical intervention

Severe - Not much to describe here. The word says it all.

Now just because your or anyone's report doesn't contain wording like that doesnt always mean that a problem does or doesnt exist.

When MRI tests do not seem to match up with the pain levels you are experiencing, then working with your doctor see if the additional diagnostic tests such as discograms and myleogram can be done.

I have I think at last count 5 herniated Thoracic discs. Unlike my cervical and lumbar disc problems, the most intense pain I get from the thoracic area is when my rhomboid muscle is hard and not pliable. That puts stress on my thoracic discs and also puts more strain on my other upper back muscles causing the majority of my pain. That never shows up in any of the diagnostic tests.

Good luck, Thoracic pain can really take you down
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com