Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 level ACDF and truck driving

truckin-101ttruckin-101 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Slipped on ice 18 months ago, tore up my shoulder and neck. Dr. has finally decided on a 3 level ACDF c34, c45, c56. Will I keep or regain enough movement in my neck to get back into a truck? Right now driving a car for more than a 1/2 hour or so leaves me hurting from the constant neck turning.

• I'm 3 months post on a 3 level ACDF. I wouldn't want to drive a truck but then I would never be good at driving LOL.

I use the blind spot mirrors and have my seat as high as it will go and a 30 degree lean back on my seat with my back rest high so I can put my head on it. Having the seat high allows me to turn from my hips and not my head or back to see behind me.

I use the spot mirrors and back into parking places. You must be good with those crazy mirrors driving truck. Things are a heck of a lot closer than what the mirror is telling you.

I'm doing lots of head exercises so my neck is loosening. A 3 level technically takes half your ROM but I've read some posts from folks that get a lot more than that. I don't think I'll get more than half back because I'm so tight.

Don't know if that helps but if you really need to drive truck you'll find a way. Keep reading and making posts as you go a long and ideas will come your way.

Good luck!

• I have a 3 level and have about 50% range of motion. It will be important for you to work with a physical therapist to help you regain as much motion as possible. The more you stretch and exercise, teh better your motion will be. but doing too much too soon could be harmful, so make sure you are with a physical therapist who is trained with the cervical spine. Turning to see over your shoulder will be the most difficult, but with the mirrors you will probably be okay. I would think the pain will be less after surgery than what you are having now.

Are there any regulations for truckers regarding driving after neck fusions?

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • hi trukin i asked this qestion a couple months ago,
    but now ive had my surgery im more worried about makin my neck worse by driving for a living rather than can i do it,
    at the moment im a chauffuer and just drive cars and would like to go back to truck drivin for the better money but only time will tell,
    after all it was a fall from a truck which left me needing this surgery and if i fell again who knows what could happen,anyway take it easy for now and hope you get better soon,wayne
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,868
    That was over 10 years ago and I still have a difficult time driving. I can not see to my left. I have an oversized mirror so it helps me to see, but if I had to depend on turning my neck to the left quickly to see, I would not be able to do that.
    I think anyone who has had multi level cervical fusions would agree that their range of motion has been impacted. Some of it would be left/right and some up/down.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com