Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op pain in thighs and buttocks

xMARxxMAR Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone, I'm 6 weeks post op now and wondering if it's normal to still get pain in upper thighs and buttocks when walking even a very short distance. I also have aching in upper thighs when just sitting too. Intermittent but wondering if this is part of healing or something else. thanks, Kevin

• It is quite common to have aches and pain and even flares for quite some time after any type of spine surgery, but most especially a fusion.

One of the problems with any spine surgery recovery, is that for the most part we have to take some time off to allow our bodies to heal. Idle time is really notorious for allowing us to focus on every little ache and pain and twinge.

Are you keeping a pain log or recovery log? These work great for tracking our progress in recovery. Even tracking the amount of break through and OTC meds required to keep ourselves comfortable can be helpful.

However, when in doubt as to whether what you are feeling is normal, okay or just not right, contact your surgeon and speak to him about it.

Hang in there,

• I am just 4 weeks post op from 3 levels and yes the pain in thighs and buttocks is normal and will go away, the problem is that it can take from 12 to 18 months for this to completely go away. Are you wearing a bone growth stimulator? I am told the success is very good when used consistently. I wish you great success for a continued good recovery.
  • I could not agree more. Tracking or documenting your pain levels, area, types of pain every day or even multiple times a day, depending on your pain, this helps your surgeons. I have Neuro who did mine and he just cannot get over the fact of how detailed I am with my tracking. I especially track my meds. My Doc give me a dosage range for each med and I can adjust within those ranges, document it then when I go for dr. visit he knows how much I've adjusted meds and can determine if I need any changes in my ranges. I am on MS Contin delayed release 45mg every 12 hours, plus I have meds for breakthrough if needed. I've already taken my MS contin down to 30mg to see how I would do so far so good. the best thing you can do is REST, even if you don't sleep laying in bed -pillow under knees, cold pak every few hours does wonders. Take care
  • Thanks for the comments and advise. I am keeping a log, but not near as detailed as I should. Yes I am wearing a bone growth stimulator 4 hours a day. I was surprised and so was the OS that he could see fusion starting after 5 weeks. I have been having ups and downs from different areas and pain here and there. I do agree that time on our hands does give us time to dwell on pain. A speedy recovery to both of you two. Thanks