Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks POST OP L5-S1 and new and more pain!

mccoch01mmccoch01 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All,
I would appreciate input and comments from patients and doctors alike, anyone with this experience or knowledge.

I am 48 yr Male, just had L5-S1 rt. postolateral discectomy and fusion (8-27-09). Previous to surgery I was experiencing left hip and siatica pain, diagnosed Herniated L5-S1, this symptom seems to be totally gone now 7 weeks post op, but now I have constant and increased pain on my right low back and hip, cant bend without (much more) pain and this is "new" pain since my discogram. In short, right now, I feel worse than before the surgery and at the moment am regretting getting the discogram. I can only manage the pain with the NORCO codene(2 per day) and 800mg ibuprofen (1 per day), and ambien-cr to get to sleep. I had a second MRI yesterday and doctor indicated that all was normal and is sending me to PT. I am a fairly healthly stocky fella 38 waist,(210lbs) and admittedly some PT may strenghen me up so I will do it, but I feel that the Discogram prior to surgery did more harm than good as the right side pain started after this procedure and has not gone away, even after the surgery. I work at a desk and walk a fair amount and have lots of stairs at home so I am getting that type of exercise. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences?

• Hi there! How much are you resting? Most all of the posts emphasize the need to rest. I am 4 days post PLIF (l5/s1) and I can tell you the pain I am in now is worse than pre-op. My sciatic pain is almost gone. I am only allowed to climb my stairs once daily. My only exercise at this point is walking a bit with my brace on and resting. Talk to your doctor, but it sounds to me that you're doing too much. Please keep us posted.
  • I'm 7 weeks post op l4-l5 plif and also I'm having more pain than post op . Most of my pain is on my left side hip/groin, low back, and thigh. This is my second plif so I'm fused also at l5-s1. Monday I see the neurosurgeon . I think my pain might be from my sacroiliac joints. I've read what the symptoms are and it seems to match my symptoms. I've read you can have problems with your sij after a l5-s1 plif. I'm going to mention this to him on Monday. I'm still on all the pain meds that I came home with from the hospital. It's depressing. Maybe I'll get some answers Monday about this hip pain. This could be why your having hip and back pain as well. Some people can get inflamation in their hips after this kind of surgery. Take care -Jen-
  • I am 10 day post op on a plif s1l5.I have a numb right foot that has been this way since surgery 10 days ago.I also have had two discectomy in the last 9 years. And my only advice is walking,resting and more walking. that is what I did and am still doing on the recovery from this plif. And getting better everyday.
  • A couple of days after my op I started to get terrible pain in my left leg. After speaking to the nurses, it is very normal for the nerves and muscles to be aggrivated during surgery and this type of pain can last up to 2 years. I nearly died when they said that!

However, make sure that your get tge right balance with your meds firstly, then walk when you can (I found this really helped). My physio has also been massaging my leg to help ease the pain and compared to a couple of weeks ago, it it much better now.

I know your pain isn't in your leg, but the whole area around the spine is aggrivated and stetched during surgery and needs to heal. Rest as much as you can and get the meds sorted out to help you cope better. Good luck!