Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEED HELP AND ENCOURAGEMENT............................

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
I'd like to ask if anyone who can relate to my problem would give me their experience and some encouragement? My main question is, after surgery (discectomy, laminoforaminoplasty) for radicular pain (burning, buzzing, numbness et al) have you experienced post op burning, buzzing, numbness that was pretty much the same as before? I have nerve damage, but surgeon says it will heal in about a year. Was this your experience, did you have wild ups and downs, (2 steps forward, one backward, etc) and did you finally get better? Is this all part of nerve regeneration? I'm on neurontin and at first I thought it helped, now it seems less effective. Surgery was 8 weeks ago, and have been on neurontin about 2 aweeks. Also percocet, but I only take one at night and I take advil as needed. Thank you for your advice and any encouragement you can give me. I'm just having a terribly difficult time and i have panic disorder so I don't handle things as well as others might. If you don't want to make a public posting you can always PM me.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I think you will find many will say they experienced the same. My surgeon told me the nerves heal at a rate of about a inch a month. I am 4 months post op and have just began to reduce my nuerotin medication. Be patient... I know easier said then done. Stress will also aggravate everything. You are still very early in the recovery phase.
    Good luck,
  • with Susan. You are very early in your recovery and are experiencing very normal things. My nerve pain did take 1 year to heal after surgery. I know that it is hard but try to be patient and hopefully you will be pain free before you know it!
  • Everyone heals at different rates and part of that is the length of time the nerve was being impinged. If your accident was in 2004 and you held off on surgery until 2009, then the insult to the nerve/s was quite lengthy. It may take a while to heal that and it may not heal as completely as if it were taken care of early on.

If you have only taken Neurontin for about 2 weeks, it is just now getting into your system, plus you are probably adjusting to the dose already. When I started on Neurontin, at the 2 week mark I was ready for an increase since the side effects were gone and the pain was breaking through again. It took several adjustments to get to a level that helped keep things more comfortable.

I think you'll find that there are many stories very similar to yours and the key was time to heal. It never hurts to contact the doc and let him know that the Neurontin seems to be losing effectiveness. Let the doc determine if you are adjusting to it already, especially if you started on a low dose.

Hang in there, you're not alone in this.

• Your surgery was just 8 weeks ago, but you might have assumed that your pain should gradually get better as I did.

My recovery process was similar to yours. When I first awoke up, I was amazed that I didn't have any pain except at the incision site. After the steroids and the heavy IV drug wore off, I started feeling the old and new pain come and go.

When I started physical therapy, my fears was lowered by knowledgeable PT who answered a lot of my questions. In addition, PT helped me with my pain and becoming physically and mentally stronger.