Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

PeggyMPPeggyM Posts: 129
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
Because of you wonderful people I steered my son who has had terribly painful back (cervical, thoracic & lumbar)issues towards an Imaging Center that does Positional MRIs.

He has been suffering for about 6 years and it was steadily getting worse. He had had MRIs and been to 3 different Neurosurgeons with 3 different diagnoses, none which gave him an answer to his pain.

He is 38 and loves watersports, especially surfing. He is divorced and takes care of his 2 boys who are the loves of his life and keep him going. Last year he finally got his SSD and the boys got SSDI. It barely covers their expenses and so he constantly worries about how he will pay the bills. Luckily Medicare has taken quite good care of him so at least his meds have been cheaper.

The Positional MRIs showed so much damage (that didn't show on conventional MRIs)that his Pain Management doctor called him (something he never does!)to tell him to immediately find a surgeon (actually 2 at least) to get some new diagnoses and get his surgery, most likely multi-level fusions.

My son was so impressed with the films that he has been telling everyone he knows who have spine problems about his experience and urging them to have them.

He has a long way to go but without all of you I would never have been able to help him find his way through this difficult time in his life, so again...

I thank you all so very much and may all of you have a life without pain in your futures.

Gentle hugs to all of you.

• I'm so glad you've found Spine-Health and that it's been so helpful.

I just want to add be sure that your son sees a fellowship-trained spine surgeon (can be ortho or neuro, mine was ortho), someone who ONLY works on spines. You'll find your very best care with them (99.9% of the time, anyway). Many time you can find a spine center in your area that will have these kind of doctors and surgeons. Whoever he ends up seeing, he needs to have 100% confidence in the surgeon. It really helps get through it all.

Take care and please keep us posted.
  • I have been helping him to find surgeons and that is top of the list, that they be Fellowship trained. We have picked 2 and they both are. I also have all of you to thank for that valuable piece of info.
    I also told him that he MUST have complete confidence in his surgeon before he even contemplates surgery.

He was amazed by the difference in the films from the Positional MRIs. He said that everyone who suffers from back pain needs to have these kind of MRIs to really show what is happening with their bodies. Even though the news was not good he feels that the surgeons will really know what his issues are now.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    you got some answers. and welcome to S.H.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • of a positional mri - what exactly is this...i assume they have you in a position, but what position?

I have heard of the standing mris - but this is new to me....

glad that you and your son found answers.

• They have you stand or sit. If you are interested in seeing how they do these PM me and I will send you a link. This type of MRI really shows your spine problems that don't show in regular MRIs.

My son said when he would lie down for his regular MRIs his spine would flatten out and wouldn't look too out of place. He was amazed by the difference. I think it is especially good for spondys.

There are a few threads on here that tell about them, just search for Positional MRIs.
This discussion has been closed.