Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Breakthrough Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Chronic Pain
I've been taking Avinza for almost seven years, with overall good results. Recently, I experience severe low back pain about 18-20 hours after taking Avinza, which is supposed to be a once a day medication.
My doctor ordered me to take the Avinza every 21 hours instead of every 24 hrs. Has anyone else done this? Aren't there meds for breakthrough pain?

• but I can tell you that my doc would also adjust my long acting med rather than see me taking much for break through pain. I have percocet 10/325 for B/T pain but when my doc sees that my use of the b/t meds are increasing he will adjust my long acting med. His reason for this is that the longer acting meds do not pose as much of a risk to my organs. The 325 in Percocet is acetaminophen. Long term use of this is not good for your liver or kidneys. If you are uncomfortable with the increase maybe you could ask your doc for an explanation from his point of view. Good luck.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Bob,
    There are many diferent break through pain meds. But you Dr. may not like to use them. You could ask him how he feels about that. Welcome to the site.
    Good luck, Jim
    P.S. I use hydrocodone for break through
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • there are tons of meds for breakthrough pain. it sounds like your dr does not want you to be on narcotics. there is percocet, vicodin, i take fenatyl lollipops 4x's a day for breakthrough pain. it is a strong narcotic and i also take 40 mg of oxycontin a day for pain. both seem to help. i have never heard of anvinza. what is it? if your dr is against narcotics, maybe you need to get a new one. one thing that irritates me is this take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning mentality with drs who are afraid of narcotics. have you discussed pain meds with him and is he a pain dr or a regular dr. if you don't have a pain dr, get one asap. they are more intuned to pain medicine than others
    good luck
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Avinza is a narcotic, it is a form of oral morphine so it doesn't seem that that is the problem.

It is not abnormal for a doctor to increase your long acting meds to try to avoid breakthrough meds that contain Tylenol (acetaminophen) as J.J.Grey said. I would ask your doc though if he thinks something like Percocet (Oxycodone) or Vicodin (Hydrocodone)in small doses might be right for you to try to get on top of your pain when it gets really bad. That way, you don't absolutely have to take it if you don't feel you need it, but have it on hand if you do need it. I have tried like a million different pain meds so please feel free to ask me any questions or pm if you's like.
  • When I was taking MS Contin (morphine), I was given MS IR 15mg for breakthrough pain. If you switch to taking Avinza every 21 hours instead of every 24, then what does your doctor plan to do about the 3 hour lapse? Is he totally against prescribing short acting medications? If you have been on Avinza for a long time, maybe your body is growing tolerant to it and the same dose isn't as effective anymore. This is very common and has nothing to do with addiction so don't worry. I've had my ER meds increased over time because of this and doctors are fully aware of this occurrence. Well, I hope your doctor figures out someway to help you. Keep in mind that there are many ways to adjust pain medications, both ER and IR. Take care
  • I actually don't think there would be a 3 hour lapse but rather the opposite. If the doctor wants you to take it every 21 hours, you are just taking it more often, not losing 3 hours of coverage because then you take it again 21 hours later instead of 24. I would still talk to your doctor about his view on short acting meds such as oxycodone or hydrocodone though. Lauren.
This discussion has been closed.