Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

80 mg oxycontin

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Pain Medications
I know this is a very personal question but i wanted to know if many people take 80 mg? my Dr suggested it a few appointments ago when he upped my meds to 40 mg 3 times a day. To those taking 80 deos it make difference? Did you have any side effects? Are there any special precautions since the dose is so high?

• I take Oxycotin 20Mg, Oxycotin 10Mg 1 each twice a day- Soma 1 every 8 hours and 1-2 percosets every 4-6 hours- but i only take them as needed as I am 6 weeks out.

Are you suppose to take 80mg at once or in the coarse to the day- at once would be way too much or am I just crazy. So basically I take 90mg in the coarse of a day.

• Good morning...

Yes, I was on the 80mg dose (three times a day) the first two months post-op.

Because I was in excrutiating pain and slept most of the time, the only side effect I recall is severe constipation. I was prescribed Senna Plus to take and depending on how constipated you get... you can adjust the Senna dose.

I have been on the 40mg, three times a day, for a couple of months now. I also take Lyrica and Percocet for break-through pain.

Straker... he would be a good one to ask this question, as I believe he is currently taking a strong dose of Oxycontin.

I have found Oxycontin to be a good pain reliever. But then... Oxycontin is the only one I have been on, since my surgery.

Good luck to you,

• TTLC - you mentioned in your above post you take Lyrica for break thru. Do you take it as needed? Or do you take it every day as scheduled to help with break thru pain?
    Can you please confirm how you are taken. I'm very interested because I take Lyrica on a scheduled basis. However, I feel I could take additional Lyrica as a break thru med also as it works fast on me, within an 1hr and I can feel relief.
    My doctor said it's impossible that a dose could work that fast. He also said that you build a tolerance to the med and if you change up or down uncheduled you lessen the effect of the overall med.
    I disagreed but lost the argument.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    I believe that could help people. Especially if you are dealing with a lot of Nerve pain. (Lyrica or (Neurontin) the two most used nerve pains can help a person in managing their pain.
    I started with Neurontin with a low dosage and worked up to about 1800mg a day. The objective here was that my doctor and myself wanted to find a plan that could help minimize the narcotic pain medication that I use.
    Neurontin has helped. I used to get up during the night from sleeping (well 3 - 4 hours can be considered sleeping) to take more pain medication.
    Now since I have been on Neurontin, I no longer need to do this.

But before you decide to increase your input, first talk this over with your doctor.
    When I was on Lyrica (75mg 2x day) I was ok, but when I went to 150 2x day, I started having other problems (Always tired, swelling of legs, feet and toes). With Neurontin, I have much more control of the amount to take. Going up 400mg or down 400mg is within the acceptibile plan that my doctor and I worked out together.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Lyrica is not a medication to take as needed. It needs to have a steady blood plasma level to be effective. It is not supposed to be a prn medication or "breakthrough" pain medication. It is a nerve pain medication, so I'm not sure why your doctor would prescribe it as a breakthrough pain medication.
    As far as the Oxycontin 80 mg dose goes, yes it is a lot and it is a powerful pain medication. The side effects would be the same but on a stronger level as the ones you experienced on the lower doses.
    Are you taking 80 mg three times a day? Or is it once or twice a day total dose?
  • tablet4 x a day and i take 8 20mg oxynorm to keep pace with the pain ..i have found the 80mg to be very good but i am in sever pain at the moment and i am waiting for more surgery ..side effects are more constipation {taken care off with movicol { its a hard life and i hate taking so many pills but i have no choice .
  • Hi Dmoonchild,

I apologize... my first reply was not very clear.

I shall try 'er again!

My initial dose of Oxycontin was one 80mg tablet, three times a day. (Total daily dose: 240mg's). Oxycontin has been a great pain reliever for me and the only bad side effect I have noticed is constipation. Stool softeners are really important to take, in addition to drinking lots of water.

My current dose of Oxycontin is one 40mg tablet, three times a day. (Total daily dose: 120mg's). If your doctor increases your daily dose, you might notice some nausea and feel overly tired in the beginning... particularly, if your dose is doubled.

DDDBack... Thank you for your inquiry about Lyrica. I take Lyrica on a scheduled basis and will take Percocet, when needed. Like you, I can feel the Lyrica hit my system about an hour after taking it. Because I can feel the Lyrica starting to work rather quickly, I have arranged to take the Lyrica 4 hours before my Oxycontin doses. This schedule is working very well and has allowed me to decrease the amount of Percocet I take each day. I've been taking Lyrica for approximately 6 weeks. How long have you been taking it? I'm curious to know if you have been taking Lyrica longer than I have... as I wonder if I will continue to feel the "quick" relief from here on out? It has been great to reduce my Percocet intake and it would be wonderful if I could continue on this path. My PM doctor has told me we can continue to work "up" with the Lyrica dose, which is awesome. Until I started taking Lyrica, I felt like I was a walking contraction... so stiff and so very tight all over. After I started taking three Lyrica a day, I was able to put my hand on my waist and shake my "mommy pointer finger" at my son for something we were debating about. He and I both were amazed at how relaxed my standing was and how I was putting my weight on one hip again! It was a monumental moment. I did not realize how much nerve pain I have had in my back and pretty much... all over.

Ron... I know you have been taking nerve medication for quite some time and I feel you would know better than me... if these would work well for break-through pain. I completely understand what Sandi has stated above, so I don't feel informed enough to make that call. What I can say, is that Lyrica works very quickly for me and the Neurontin Zach takes... works quickly for him, as well. Zach is presently taking 1,200mg's of Neurontin a day. His Neurologist has told him he can take an extra 400mg capsule of Neurontin... anytime he should feel the TN pain creeping up. (This has only been a handful of times, as the 1,200mg dose is working great thus far). His Neurologist writes his prescription for two capsules, twice a day... which gives him the extra 400mg capsules, should he need to take an extra 400mg capsule.

I hope your pain is being controlled to a tolerable level, Dmoonchild. If you have any problems with the Oxycontin, please let us know.

Best wishes to all,

Tammy :)
  • I only took 80mg of Oxycontin a day- 40mg tab twice daily. And I also was allowed 6 10/325mg Percocets for BT pain. Lyrica needs to be taken regularly and is not intended for as needed. Instead of Lyrica I take Cymbalta every day and I'll get sick if I miss a dose.
  • My sister was on a large dose like that after her last back surgery. She didn't have any major problems with it, other than the increased side effects (it made her really sleepy.) I think if your doc reccomeded it, and it's not a huge jump in millagrams for you, you should fair pretty well. However, when my doc ups my dose of something, I always make sure I don't have anything major going on for a few days after, just in case the increased dose gives me increased side effects or doesn't agree with me. You never know (plus it's kinda nice just to sit on my butt for a few days :) )
  • I'm sorry I don't want to highjack dmoonchild thread.

So I started a new thread call "Lyrica for break through pain. If people have input they can reply. Thanks!