Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware removal surgery on Monday

sotiredssotired Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Had pre-op yesterday and was very surprised to find out a few things. During the initial doc visit we discussed the actual surgery risks, not really what would be done. So I went into my pre--op with a few questions.
1. Removeal of l5 hardware is outpatient.
2. No brace required after surgery.
3. Can drive afer 4 days.
4. Holes in bones won't be filled.
5. Blood loss is very common because it's second surgery.
6. Doc will NOT do any type of exploration, since previous MRI shows nothing. Even though I asked if she could since I'm having issues with nerve going to genital....nope.

Is this what others had done? I know it's supposed to be much easier than the original surgery, but this sounds way too easy.

• sotired,
    (I love your name by the way---perfectly describes so many of us in this situation). Thanks for your post on what to expect. Way back before my fusion my NS also made hardware removal sound almost trivial. I know it is not but it is good to know that it should be a bit easier than the fuison was. I wish you well and I hope this is the solution and you will be pain free!
  • You're having lower back?

I hope you'll post how easy it actually is. I have escaped the need to have my plate removed for now and I hope forever. I have a 3 level cervical fusion that has a screw close to my main artery but since I'm fusing well my doctor feels I'm at low risk. They thought they would have to remove it asap but the Cat scan brought better news.

I hope your's goes smoothly and you are up and going soon.

• Dont worry, what your Dr told you is true. It is not very painful at all. I was ready to go home the next day, and did without problems. You will feel pain, but more achey pain than the hit by a truck pain from the fusion. Good Luck. I will be thinking of you Mon. Love, Robin
  • Hi Sotired,

Just wanted to wish you the best for your surgery tomorrow. I am hoping everything goes smoothly and you have an easy recovery.
  • Seems so strange for them to just make those decisions about going straight in and just removing the hardware without looking around for other factors which could contribute to your continued pain. I had surgery 5 days ago which in actuallity was them going in to remove the hardware to see if it helped with the continued pain I was in. Once in there he discovered the bone on one side didnt fuse at all and just broke in hi fingers. Therefore he had to repack new bone and use bigger screws and rods. ALSO, in exploring a lil furthur, he found a shelf of bone that had grown into the spinal canal itself and was compressing the cord which he went in and removed. I'm glad he did explore a lil once he was in, in my mind, dealing with the pain now is way better than having him come back in a month and saying there must be some other reason other than hardware causing my pain. All this was wrong in there and nothing showed up in the MRI's before then except for the bone being grainy on one side and a screw being loose. ALL my hardware ended up being loose.

I'm crossing my fingers for you and praying you make an excellent recovery =)

• I am so new to all the particulars of these surgerys. I don't understand what would make it necessary to remove your hardwear, Can anyone give me a short, easy explaination as to why this is done?
    Thank you, I am very curious.
  • They only take it out if you are fused and still having pain, that can be attibuted to it. From like reaction by your body to the hardware. Or if it needs to be changed because of some type of injury or harware has become loose. It is usually there for life. I had mine out due to pain.