Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Let's all dream for a minute, what would you do?

mamainpainmmamainpain Posts: 127
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:37 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone, you might remember last week I was so down and haveing a rough time, but feeling much better this week! Sooooooo.......I took someone's advice from last week and started thinking ahead and was dreaming about what I would do if I was suddenly pain free and knew I could do whatever I wanted without getting hurt, and I decided here is what I would do:

Ride a motorcycle, ride a horse, go roller skating, go waterskiing, learn to line dance and then I would take the 10 hour flight to Europe and travel for a week!!! I would also run a half marathon!!

Anyway, wondering, just for fun, what would all of you do if you were guarrenteed two weeks pain and injury free?

Happy dreaming, and may all our dreams come true!!
Rachel :))( :))( :H <:P

• Well, I am 17 months past surgery, so I am at a good place right now, my back feels good and pain-free (only now the rest of my body is falling apart!). I liked your question, and a year ago I was contemplating similar thoughts, and this February I put one of those into action and flew to Kauai, HI for a glorious week.
    How about the rest of you? What would you do?

• I fulfilled my dream this morning. We went for an early morning kayak on a quiet river. The last time I paddled this river was immediately prior surgery and I was scared and incredibly sad that I may not ever do that again, and wondering how long it would be before I could try....and all that lay ahead before I could.

Well, I expected a sense of sentimentality, some tears maybe. No! It was like I'd been there yesterday. All that I'd been through since March seemed a distant memory. It was 5am, the water was warm and still, the reflections gorgeous. We're going again next weekend.

• I loveeeeee kauai!!! Princeville is amazing, did you see the wet and dry caves or drive to the end of that road out of Princeville, can't remember the name,but it ends at one of the state beaches of Hawaii and there is an amazing trail that my kids and I tried, we got about one and a half mile up and had to turn back because we were not really prepared for the steep, slippery terraine. It remains one of the best experiences of my life. So glad you got to go!!! Thanks for sharing!
    By the way, I have never been kayaking (Sorry about the spelling!) but it always looked so relaxing to me, I am curious, if you tip over, how do you get back up? I have always been afraid to try it, afraid I would tip over and not be able to get out or right myself! Anyway, hope you get to go again soon!
  • We've only once ditched and that was when my partner reached over to pull up a crab pot to see if there was anything in it. It was hooked around a rock and over we went, sideways! We lost sunglasses, lunch, all sorts of things. There are sharks in that river (we are on the coast) and all I could think about were the sharks. I found strength I didn't know I had, tipped the boat upright again and climbed in. I couldn't do that now. The plan is, to swim to shore.

Relaxing it most certainly is. It's silent, apart from little splashes from the paddles, the mangroves along the banks are beautiful and full of birds and fish. It's not hard and doesn't take a lot of strength (we use a double kayak and my partner does most of the work.) We also have a single one, which is a long, lean machine built for speed and you need good stomach muscles to keep it upright. I don't usually use that one.
  • Sounds like something I am going to add to my "what I am going to do when my pain is all gone" list!! I am not the worlds most gracefull person, but I might be able to stay afloat!! As for those stomach muscles, mine could use some work HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Hope you get to go again soon!
  • Well if its only 2 weeks I would say to jump on a plane and go back to Italy and also check out the french countryside. I went to Italy (Tuscany)about 1 1/2 years ago and it was a dream come true, however, by the last couple of days I was in agony. Would love to enjoy it without the pain! (the food, wine and scenery....wow)

I'd love to be able to do more gardening, but that isn't just a 2 week venture.

Tuesday I am leaving for Disney with my hubby and kids. I'd like to not be resticted to only certain rides, etc. But, I am fortunate to be able to go at all and will make the most of it. Its not for me, its for the kids.

• Maybe I don't dream big enough as my dreams are pretty simple when compared to the ones posted here lol ;)

I want to JET SKI! I never have and I always wanted to. I also want to scuba dive - another thing I never have and always wanted to do. Pretty much anything to do with water/swimming type activities would be my dreams.

Right NOW concerning my water dreams - it's just to get back in the pool and be able to swim some laps. :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Pretty cool thread! I would get my Blackwidow bow out and go to the archery range! Haven't pulled a bow in over 2 years now.

Bowling. Use to use a 16lb ball, now even 10lbs hurts! I would bowl for hours!

Roller Coasters! I love em! I would love to be able to walk past those bloody signs that say "If you have neck issues, heart etc....do not take this ride."

Get back into the cockpit of helicopters. I miss the freedom of flying "woppy-choppers"...

There are more, but these I miss the most. Hopefully some of my favs will not be gone forever. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I would pick up my 4 year old and "dance" around the room with him in my arms. I would take one of my long jog-walk/talk's with my oldest daughter just her and I, I would go to six faggs and ride every roller coaster with my youngest daughter. I would make love with my husband with all the passion and excitement I did on our honeymoon. I would pray every night to remain pain free.
  • and if I took that 10 hour flight to Europe, I'd stay for a couple of months. Horseback riding would be wonderful, and I'd love to be able to run. No way I'd get on a motorcycle. Everything would have to be semi-safe, because I'd never want to end up with a spine-related injury again. Ah - it's a nice dream, isn't it?

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I forgot to say one more thing that I was concerned about for a long time after my surgery, namely picking up babies and toddlers. Up 'til now, it was not a problem, as I did not really have to do it, but now my daughter is pregnant, and I hope I'll will be able to pick up and horse around with my grandchild.

• With all this cold weather in Canada and I'm sure it's the same in the Northern States I would love 2 weeks in Florida. I miss going there for vacation. My Mother started going there for 4 months every year with her male friend and she'll be there soon again. I would love to visit my favorite place Ft. Lauderdale and pop in to visit Mom! That's my wish right now. Of course just feeling no pain for 2 weeks I would love to just be able to walk and work a few days. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My 360 surgery is 10/26 (tomorrow), however, being 10 months post-op from a PLIF L4-5, I am looking forward to a spectrum of things I will be able to do in the next year. One end of the spectrum, spin class (I love it!) Other end, travel to Europe or Africa and not only be able to sit on the flight, but do all the walking and fun stuff that goes with it!
    Thanks for the dream - I will take this to surgery tomorrow.
  • My wish is that we all get to do these and more!!! I read these posts and my own list grows longer!! I would LOVE to ride a roller coaster with my boys, they havn't been on one yet and I would love to experience there first time with them. Also the making love part sounds good too, oh to be 19 again, with a 19 year old body and the energy to boot!!! Have a great day everyone!
  • Sounds like you had on heck of a lot of surgery! All 7 months ago? You are amazing! Glad you had fun.
  • I made sure I did all the wild things I wanted to do before I had surgery. That's why I kept putting it off and probably why I ended up with a 3 level ADCF instead of a one level LOL The list of things I have done would be crazy long from rodeo riding, acting to boxing. I have had soooo much fun.

At my age I want to slow down. I'll be 59 soon. Here are the things I will be doing next year:

cross county skiing
    snow shoeing
    watching them run with the bulls in Spain ( my hubby promised)
    Travel the world ( in our retirement plans}
    Doing a documentary about recovering from an ACDF
    Creating my own martial art for old women LOL call KenChi Chikara I'm in process now! It means understanding energy's power.

Life still has a lot to offer it's just going to be at a different pace for me.

Thanks for this post Rachel. It's so important to dream and plan it makes the pain more bearable.
  • I would do the Amazing Race with my hubby, run a 5K with my marathon running teen, take both teens scuba diving, and carry my 5 year old everywhere(I haven't lifted her in years.)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I can't believe I'm saying this.....but I'd go back to work. I never thought I'd be eager to work but I really am. I've been out 6 months due to spine issues and if I could sit at a desk and just be miserable because I was at work, and not miserable due to pain, I think that would be good. I'd also like to travel (for work or pleasure) without a second thought and without having to take every medication and pillow I own with me.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you Mamainpain, for giving us some dreams to think about: I would use your magic wand to allow me to play piano again for longer than 10 minutes & to restore the feeling in my right foot so I could pedal appropriately. And remove the sciatica so I could SIT!!

1st thing I would play would be the Mozart sonatas, then I'd go on to the Bach inventions, then all the Joplin ragime I used to do (lots of subtle pedaling there) & end w/ some Schubert, esp the G Flat major impromtu that I so loved to play. Plus the duets w/ my cousin (4-hand, one piano, Mozart, Schubert & some Brahms.)

Oh, to dream! I miss it so1 I have so much that remains, but this I truly mourn losing.

(but I can still sit long enough for the Minute Waltz, ha~!)

• #3 Thanks Lynn, sorry I have only just seen your post there. There's absolutely nothing amazing about me, but I do think I've been incredibly lucky. Especially in finding such a great surgeon, whose skills enabled me to get my life back.

Agreed, this is a great thread! I hope we all get to retrieve our lives from where we left off and enjoy at least some of the activities we've had to put on "hold".
  • I would go fight a house fire and go through SWAT training rotations.

Along the same lines, this February I am doing something I've wanted to do for a long time: get my NRA firearms instructor certifications! I've taught a lot of people informally, soon I'll be doing "official" training!

BTW, katjan, good luck with your surgery today!
  • I would ride a skateboard again. Since ive been hurt thats all I constantly think about is riding a skateboard again, along with a ton of other things.
  • Hey Jay 911, My Godfather is a Firefighter, also my hero, and I sincerely hope you get to have your dream come true. I went on a ride along once with him and just watching the way they were dedicated to helping other was so inspiring. I wish you extra special dream points for yours!!!

Justin 66- my son skateboards and it hurts me just watching him, but I wish you dream points too!!!