Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie saying hello and thank you

PreachermanPPreacherman Posts: 13
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello to all. And thank you to the providers of this site, the best site I have found for folks like us. I actually started reading the posts on the old site and have only recently been able to start reading these new posts. Thought it was time to start logging in and introduce myself. I'll post all of my diagnoses below.
May 5, 2007, I took a fall off an 8 foot retaining wall onto an incline below, landing hard on my heels. I was 5'9 1/2" before the fall, and went to 5'8 1/4" when I landed. I've been in constant pain since, that despite all efforts, have continued to increase and worsen. I have had MRIs of the entire back, discogram of L3-L5 (that pain was off the charts), consulted with rheumatologist and 2 neurosurgeons, and went thru pain management from October-August.
Pain management doc was trigger happy, I was getting multilevel thoracic and lumbar ESIs and Imedial branch blocks 2-3 times each month and he kept saying that he could get me back to 80 percent healed. After he did a discogram in March, he gave me an Intradiscular methylene blue injection at L3-L4 and L4-L5. It was the only injection that provided relief that lasted longer than a month (lumbar pain was eased by about 50% for the first month, but gradually returned to normal and has actually gotten worse). It just so happened that I found out that I was going to lose my health insurance at the same time that I got tired of all the back injections.
Both neurosurgeons I have seen refused to operate, on the grounds that I would not gain any significant pain relief.
All the while, I have tried to continue working. After I first injured my back, I started averaging 30 hours per week, and then in November 08 my boss reduced me to 24 hours per week. My bosses were extremely understanding and supportive, but when cuts had to be made at the end of May, I was the obvious choice. I finally realized that it would be impossible for me to ever hold down a full time job again, and this past week, filed my application for disabilty. This was a huge mental hurdle for me, as I have always been a jack of all trades; working on my own cars and doing complete house remodeling by myself. A lot of people do not realize that having back problems becomes nearly as much of a mental battle as it is a physical one.
On a final note, I hope my user name does not inhibit anyone from corresponding with me. Although, it is what I am, I am still only a person like anyone else. It's not my job to judge anybody or try to change anyone; you might say that I am just a sales rep for something free trying not to lose my benefits package.
Thanks for listening to my ramblings,

C3-C4 DDD, desiccation with posterior disc bulging, mild central canal stenosis and slight flattening of the cervical cord, without abnormal cord signal.
C4-C5 DDD, desiccation with broad-based posterior disc osteophyte complex and more focal left paracentral protrusion that flattens the anterior cervical cord and results in mild central canal stenosis, mild right neural foraminal narrowing.
C5-C6 DDD, desiccation with broad-based posterior disc bulging, large left lateral disc protrusion, significant flattening of the cervical cord on the left with mild central canal stenosis, moderate left neural foraminal narrowing.
C6-C7 DDD, desiccation with broad-based posterior disc osteophyte complex resulting in moderate central canal stenosis and flattening of the cervical cord, moderate bilateral neural foraminal narrowing.
T6-T7 Focal midline disc protrusion, significant anterior indentation on the thecal sac, underlying thoracic cord appears indented slightly eccentric to the right.
L3-L4 Mild central and bilateral foraminal stenosis secondary to a minimal diffuse disc bulge and mild facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1 Minimal diffuse disc bulge and mild facet hypertrophy results in crowding of both L5 nerve roots with possible mild left L5 root compression, a conjoined root sleeve involving the left L5 and left S1 roots is suspected.

Fibromyalgia, Sacroiliitis, Occipital Neuralgia, Cervical Spondylosis

• you will find loads of info and friends here
  • I know that you said you had 2 opinions from 2 different neurosurgeons. Can you by chance get another opinion from a different surgeon? With all the procedures that the PM doc has done, I would think (just based on a mechanics thought process) that it would prove to be quite a good diagnostic regimen and help point out exactly what and where your problems stem from.

Sometimes 2 or 3 mechanics can "look" at our vehicles and say that it's not worth the money and effort to repair. Then another mechanic takes a look at it, see's it as a personal challenge and finds a way to do the repair and the vehicle lasts for another 10 or 15 years.

Just a thought anyway.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you stopped by!! :D good luck with your pain relief! Jenny :)
  • Sorry to hear that you have joined the ranks of the chronic pain sufferers. It sounds like you are exhausting your options for relief. The docs that you have seen may well be right as surgery holds no guarantees of relief. I am wondering if you are on any meds for pain relief? Not something that most of us want to end up with but when it becomes the only option we tend to give it a try. I know what you mean about the mental challenges of not only being labeled but accepting for yourself that you are disabled. You have found a great place for support and I will look forward to seeing you around the forum.
  • Shirley, Jenny, C, and JJ.

"C"-- I saw my PCP last week, and he said that once I get insurance again, he is going to send me to a different surgeon that he is sure will do something for me. I am ready for something to ease the pain. Thanks for the thought and the concern.

JJ-- I am currently taking Meloxicam for the inflammation, Doxepin and Lyrica for the Fibro, Norco for the pain, and Cyclobenzaprine to help me sleep. I had Sydendham's Chorea when I was 9 and had to take meds every day until I was 17, and I absolutely hate taking anything, but it's a matter of survival.
  • Hi & a delayed welcome to the boards :)

I am sorry you are going through all of this.

I have found since joining here I no longer feel I am in this battle alone - hope you too can find support & information here.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • appreciate that, MsHumptyDumpty. I have people everyday that say "I understand" or "I know what you're going thru" and then I see them walk away in a normal gait or doing other things and it hits me that they really don't. It really means something when there are encouraging words from someone who is truly empathetic.
  • JJ-- I am currently taking Meloxicam for the inflammation, Doxepin and Lyrica for the Fibro, Norco for the pain, and Cyclobenzaprine to help me sleep. I had Sydendham's Chorea when I was 9 and had to take meds every day until I was 17, and I absolutely hate taking anything, but it's a matter of survival.

I hate the meds too but we tend to do what we gotta do.