Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lack of sleep due to pills?

RICKRRICK Posts: 136
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi,

I had C4-6 fusion on 12-8-09 and started having new pain March 09, now waiting for another surgery, I am taking Zanalfex and Hydrocodone my question is there a side affect that causes me to wake up after 4 or 5 hours sleep, I have anxiety, this and my old friend (neck pain). I woke up at 2:00 am tonight wand walked around the park where I live. I see my spine doctor Tuesday and will ask him what is worng, this is driving me nuts. BUT lack of sleep can't kill me, I just wish my head could get a solid night sleep.

Rick
advertisement

Comments

• I also take hydrocodone (although I've switched to Norco to lessen the amount of APAP, so it's 7.5/350) and I can't take it before bed because it causes me to wake up a lot and when I do sleep I have nightmares.

I wonder if you're like me and it's the pain med. Just a thought.
  • I find that I often wake from pain/and or the meds. I have not had a decent nights sleep in months.

I don't take a lot of meds because I have a hard time functioning during the day (I am still working). I take small doses of Tylenol/Advil during the day & prescriptions in the evening (10mg of flexerile and 10 mg of Norco). Yesterday I took my meds early (about 2 pm) and I found that I fell asleep much quicker last night. I still woke after a few hours with pain, but at least it was quicker to get to sleep.

Julie
  • I have come to the conclusion sleep is just over rated. Seems the harder I try to get some sleep the harder it is. Doc has me on a 2 hr schedule to reduce the pain. But no alarm clock needed sleep 2 hours wake up and move, then go back at it again. Usually get about 5 hours in a night.

Rick speak with your doctor there are other muscle relaxers that have will help with the sleep. I switched from zanaflex to soma for that reason. The soma gets me to sleep just fine, the nerve pain wakes me up just as easy. Sometimes they need to mix it up so you have something different at night. Also you want to check out some of the articles here regarding sleep, some good reading.
  • I too use to be a night walker..... due to lack of ability to sleep from pain and or pain meds.

I found a "old fashion cure" that works wonders for me.

bendryl - yep 1 generic pill at bed time and I am getting at least 7 hrs of good sleep.

Of course be sure your Dr. is OK with this before trying :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • sleep deprivation is horrible .since my last operation {nov 07} i have never slept for more than 3 hours in one go ..so i know what you are going through ..have you tried temazepam ??
    STRAKER
  • I saw my spine doctor this afternoon, he said it was not the meds I am taking but pain and stress, he gave me a sleeping pill to try. He extended my disability for another six months which I did not want to hear but have to wait to go out of town to see the new surgeon which could take 2-3 weeks and another month or two to set a surgery date than 3+ months recovery. I hate thinking about being off work for 8 months but have not choice.

Rick
advertisement