Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two Days Til Surgery

Slkep2004SSlkep2004 Posts: 95
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I awoke this morning and that was my first thought. Two more days.

I'm hurting really badly today. Hip and buttock feel like someone is poking a prod into their core. I'm trying to think of what I need to be doing today. I got my hair cut because I know I won't feel like that for a while. I am scrubbing the bathrooms tomorrow. Putting satin sheets on tomorrow too. I want to utilize my time but my mind just is so preoccupied that I can't think of what I need to be doing.

Certainly a lami with epidural lipomatosis is not going to be anything close to the dbl.fusion from years ago. She said the lipomatosis needs to be sent off to pathology to make sure it's not something bad, to make sure it's just a fat pocket. She also mentioned putting in a few screws for stabilization. It's up in the air until she gets in and sees it with her own eyes.

It's rainy and grey today. Kind of matches my scared mood. What should I be doing. I'm wasting good time, I won't feel good for a little while after this and will wish I had done so much more. Maybe I'll go rearrange the linen closet!
Thanks for listening.

• Try to lock your Type A feelings in that linen closet until you are finished recovering from surgery. I can guarantee that if your house gets messy, you all will survive!! @)

I know you are just nervous and trying to keep yourself occupied...but don't get stressed. Do what is necessary to make yourself feel better and then try to center yourself. Work on that deep breathing and try to focus on visualizing yourself through a successful surgery and starting a period of restful recovery.

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way -- you will do fine. Your surgeon really sounds on top of things.

• On the day before my surgery, I also got my hair cut, I did the food shopping, I made sure I had plenty of games for my Nintendo DS, bought a new robe, a bunch of underwear and five new pairs of sweatpants, cleaned the house and generally just made sure everything was ready for me to come home post-op. I subscribed to Netflix, got a puzzle book and posted on here a lot.

Look at the post-op must-haves in the Back and Neck Surgery area and see if there's anything else you need to get before the big day.

Sometimes people remember to get the things they'll need physically and forget that recovery's going to be a pretty boring ride, so get some things for your mind, too. I was addicted to my Nintendo DS - it's an easy little handheld gadget and it has a lot of game choices. Although I'm an avid reader, with the meds I couldn't really concentrate that much. Sometimes, people will also subscribe to a premium cable channel just for their recovery so there's plenty to watch on TV.

Anyway, good luck on your upcoming surgery and we'll be waiting for your "I'm Home!" post.

• haha Why is it that with each surgery I buy new underwear? I'm glad to hear someone else does it too.
    Gwennie, I've been doing those breathing techniques you told me about. I can't get in the right positions though so I just get comfortable and try to just focus on breathing. I lay down but it has to be on my side in the fetal position. Then I just think soothing thoughts. My family thinks I have lost it but they are happy to see me get through each hour. I'm so lucky to have family support. Last night, I remembered that my eggshell foam mattress topper saved my life after my fusions...I didn't have the extra money to go get one and my mom ran out and got it for me. I'm so blessed. Oh and you're right, I'm so type A...Just call me "miss control". How did you ever guess?!
    Cath, Hi there, You are right. I need to get some things for me to do. I will find my sudoku and crossword mags. I have games set up to tv's in each room, so I guess I could do that too. Hello SIMS. I have read the pre op page and am getting everything to where it is waist high and I have my grabber out too. I'm so worried I won't be able to use a normal toilet, if the incision is five inches and at the bottom of my tailend. Others that have had lami of l5, did you need a pottychair thingie?
    I am going to get some fun things for me to do and put them close to my bed after I finish this note. I am also going to do try to just stop and breath for a minute. I'm getting ahead of myself here. I still have tomorrow.
    Thank you for talking to me about this.
  • Hi, I laughed out loud at the underwear purchase! AAhhhh nothing makes you feel better then a new pair of undies!!!! I am gonna hop in my car right now...Wal-mart here I come (small town, no Victoria Secret!).
    I didn't need the toilet seat, we almost got one and at the last minute we just ran out of time and it really wasn't that big of a deal, do you have a counter next to your toilet, I would grab that for a bit of support, but mostly it was ok. Gook luck, enjoy the undies.
  • heehee You're so right. Something soothing about a new pair of drawers! I got two pair with peace signs on them so they'll be good for a laugh when strangers are helping me in and out of them. ugh
    Right now, things were just put on hold by my preop results. They are sending me to a cardiologist tomorrow to check out the ekg...a little bloop in it or something. So now that to worry about. Cardio Dr will let surgeon know if Wed is a go or not. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm ready to get this done.
  • I think I am going to just not get one and if it looks like I will need it, I will ask a family member to go to my granny's and get one. I think she had one. I may be able to use my legs and maneuver myself. CAn't believe I am discussing this with the world. haha Last time I needed one and a walker. This isn't going to be near like that though.