Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery Problems?

Mark33MMark33 Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to start this thread for people to discuss some problems they might have faced following surgery. I had L5-S1 fusion October 20th. From what I am to understand everything I have faced following the surgery have been normal. I stayed in the hospital an extra day because of a fever that I was trying to break but other than that I have been ok.

Now I have been home for a few days and I have been facing these 2 things. My right calf on the outter side of my leg and then towards the back has been very sore. I am trying to figure out the reason. The other calf is sore but not too bad. My right one is so sore it almost hurts to the touch. I have also been battling going with my bowel movements. I have no problem urinating but to this point which has been 7 days, I really have not had the urge to go. I tried a fleet enema this morning and it helped a little but not great. I have gas, I have an appetite, I simply do not have the urge to go.

Has anyone else faced these problems?

• I cant speak to the leg issues as I have nerve damage that has my left leg totally messed up. The right is fine with exception to the over compensation muscle soreness.
    As to the constipation, like Kin said, it is a very common problem, mine lasted 10 days before I called my doc. I was told to get soeme calcium nitrate, I didnt drink it all quickly, but sipped it throughout the day, and on the second day... SUCCESS :) since then I take 2 stool softeners as part of my daily meds (I am stll on nacotics), if no BM after 3 days I took 1 laxative I longer have to take the laxative as I am fairly regular. You are VERY early in your recovery so be patient with your body, call your doc with questions. Keep us posted as to your progress.
    may God Bless and Keep you...(going :) )
  • Mark,

One of the concerns after any surgery is blood cloth. The severe pain in your calf, especially if it red or swollen should definitely investigated. Maybe it is nothing, but it does not hurt to investigate it, a call to your surgeon's office would be justified.

As far as the constipation, that is unfortunately a frequent problem after surgery, especially if you are taking any narcotics. Taking stool softener daily is always a good practice, the old prune juice method also often works. Some people swear on taking fish oil capsules. Sometimes you have to try different things, often in combination to eventually find relief.

Hope both of these problems are transitory, but please, call your Dr.'s office about the leg pain.

Wishing you the best,