Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can this be real?

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my ACDF in January 09....everything was going pretty good until recently about the beginning of Sept I started having some pain again....went to the Dr and he gave me some pills and thinks its just muscles. While all this was going on I had to go to Florida for 6 weeks while I was in Florida not an ache or a pain. I have now been back to Massachusetts (cold and raw) for 3 days and I am in pain again.

Could the weather be affecting me this bad? Could the cold really be the culprit. I was working the whole time I was in Florida so I know its not work stress causing this...Anyone having the same issues??

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Libby,
    It is the same for me, it gets cold and I'm a hurting unit. Mornings are tough but as I build momentum throughout the day I do better as I keep working and active. But if I sit down for any length of time the pain returns.
    Where I live it is a minimum of 6 months of winter. I wish I could move to a warmer climate but it's not in the cards at this time.
    Keep warm,
  • yea cold weather makes my neck hurt extra also...
  • The weather has a major effect on my pain levels. It has been cold and wet here for the ;ast few days and I have had a major spike in my pain levels.
  • Hi Libby. Not only can the weather affect pain levels, but elevation can also. There was a member here who lived at a pretty high elevation and took a trip to Arizona and felt fantastic while there. There wasn't a difference in temperature or moisture and upon researching it, discovered that elevation can indeed play a part in spine pain for us spineys.

Interesting, isn't it?
  • Libby was comfy in Florida but I was miserable the last few days because the pressure was up -- as soon as it rained last night, I felt immediate relief. It affects my sinuses, sciatica and foot. I just basically laid around for two days. Now today, weather's better and I've accomplished a lot on my "to do" list (LOL!).

Just my 2 cents,

• The cold and rain bother me a great deal. I have to say rain is the worst for me. I can tell you it's raining outside from a building with no windows, it's crazy. The pain is unreal. I can't even open my house up in when it's warm if it's raining or damp, I have to shut the house up and turn on the a/c. In the winter I wear a lot of turtle necks and scarves.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    then just the weather. I know many people that are effected by the cold. Some of those can be contributed to arthritic conditions.
    The cold and the rain really doesnt change how I am feeling, but I know the change of seasons do:

Fall Just finished up the Summer and preparing for the Fall. To me that means Leaves to be raked AND start of the Football season and the World Series. As I watch squirrels and chimpmonks scampering around gathering nuts, I realize that I am doing much the same. They are getting for the winter months.. For me, my activity level starts to decrease, I start to eat more full type meals. My body starts to wind down and I find more aches and pains coming my way

Winter Here I am just like a bear. I go into hibernation. I think my pulse rate goes down about 50% and so does my productivity. (so that does have a bit of a negative impact for my wife, because that means she just has to do more) During this season, I have more aches and find it harder and harder to get up to do anything. Sitting bothers me more and I generally have a good number of flareups.

Spring I just came out of hibernation, all rested up and raring to go. My mind, my spirit and my body starts to go into high gear. This is my most active time of the year.
    It is also the time of the year I generally have less problems, no flareups and overall feel the best I can considering my medical conditions.

Summer I am still in high gear. Mostly because I know its Boating time! Just getting out on the lake makes me feel like a million dollars. Now, I just have to figure out a way to make the lake water smell like good ole salty ocean water. We have more parties, get together with friends more often I am still pretty limber and can do a lot of things without bad efforts. BUT, not being the smartest cookie on the block, this is the time when I do tend to overdue things, so flareups can easily happen

These are just my thoughts on how weather can effect us
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I feel so much better knowing that I am not alone(or crazy)....I guess for me the thing would be to move South for the winter...and unfortunately that is not happening any time soon. So I guess I just have to learn to live with it.

• Libby,
    Get lots of turtle necks. I have them in every color, lol!

P.S. You are right, you are not alone here.
  • I completely agree that the weather affects our pain. DiLauro, I love your take on the seasons and I'll have to think about that.

The barometric pressure kills me. If it gets high, anything over 30.0, I ache and often get a headache. It usually happens when we get stuck in a weather pattern like really nice days or lots of rain.

I live at sea level, so I wonder if that is better for pain or being up at a higher elevation is ... It's probably whatever your body is used too and that is why changes are hard on bad backs.