Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 Weeks Post Microdiscectomy/

PALPPAL Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It has been three weeks to the day since I had a microdiscectomy on L5/S1. I originally herniated about 12 years ago when I was 16. They sciatic pain lasted for about a month but went away completely with conservative treatment. I re-herniated about 7 months ago which resulted in severe sciatic pain but no weakness or foot-drop. I was still functional to a degree but could not be active (jog, bike, excercise). To get to the point, the sciatic pain is significantly better after the surgery but I still have not regained full range of motion in my right leg. For example, if lying flat on my back I can not lift my leg straight up while extending with out irritating the nerve. It is almost as though it is still getting "caught" or is pinched. My doctor says this is normal but I want to get feedback from those that have gone through this. Is this simply swelling that will subside after a few more weeks? I am probably just being impatient but it somewhat concerns me that the pain is triggered in a very similar fashion as it was prior to the surgery. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

• you are still very early in the healing process. I was not able to lift my leg at all for months after my microD. It actually took about 1 year for the nerve to heal after surgery. Try and be patient and hopefully it will be well worth it in the end. Keep us posted.
  • Lik J.J. Grey mentioned, you are still very early in the recovery phase. I had some residual pains and numbness after my discectomy. I seemed to think that a combination of swelling and temporary nerve damage caused my minor symptoms. After a few months I ceased to have any bothersome pain/numbness symptoms until three and-a-half years later.

I know you probably have heard this before-just be extra careful about carrying heavy loads. My brother just had a discectomy and they put him on a permanent 20 lb weight restriction. I never had that-maybe that's why I reherniated years later. Oh well, you live and learn. :( Plus, we are all unique in the way we heal, as well.

Hope your pain goes away and you regain full motion in your legs...

Take care of yourself,