Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

suboxone pain management

k3painkk3pain Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Management
anyone using suboxone for pain management?

• If you type in Suboxone at the top of this page in the search box you will find lots of threads about it. I have never tried it myself but have seen folks talk about it here over the years. Good luck.
  • hi!! :H you might do a search on this and come up with some past posts and comments about the drug.. :D good luck with your pain managament. :D Jenny :)
  • i have been on suboxone for 12 days now and it has worked very well. It has such a bad stigma-w/heroin and opiod detox, but if it works on cleaning up a stone cold shooter, and makes them feel normal, why isn't it used as much in pain management. From avinza, oxy, diluadid and norcos im now done to just ONE pain controller. It might be the next generation of pain management, when nothing else works.
  • what you mean about the stigma. I am on Methadone and boy do I get some looks when I go to the pharmacy to get it. Lots of folks don't realise that it is used for PM and associate it with heroin addicts.
  • i imagine u know what i mean. Methadone? if anyone knows u should. Its the same thing but not everyone knows about it. Everyone assumes methadone, is for addiction: i even asked my PM doctor about it, thats how i started suboxone.
    Still working excellant as a pain controller.
  • I expect that buprenorphine (the opioid analgesic in Suboxone) has this stigma in the US because it is almost entirely used to treat opioid addiction there. In other parts of the world (UK, various other European and Asian countries, Australia, etc.) its main use has always been to relieve pain. If it had been widely available in proper analgesic doses (considerably lower than those used in Suboxone), I doubt it would have these negative connotations. I've been prescribed Temgesic (sublingual buprenorphine tablets for moderate-severe pain) for years and have had good results. It's also available as a 3-day patch in some countries. It's use as a strong opioid analgesic is on the rise, partly because it is effective and partly because of its excellent safety profile. A number of recent studies that have disproved certain misconceptions about the drug have helped, too.
  • I have been on suboxone for over 5 years and it works wonderfully for me I sing the praises of suboxone to anyone I think it might help. Yes the stigma of it sucks but more and more docs are learning about its use for pain management, but every time I think I've broken through the stigma barriers someone will do something that knocks me back down-to-earth like my pharmacist that I have used since you could get it in regular pharmacys ( about 4 years maybe) telling me that I needed a special DEA number for suboxone and when I talked to my doc about it that DEA number is only for prescribing it for addiction, not pain management, I've been on it for over 5 years did she really think I duped a doc into prescribing it that long for addiction? I hope it was just ignorance, I have had to educate many a doctors I carry around papers explaining its use in pain management to help combat and hopefully inform thoughs that are still ignorant at ER's and any speciality doc I may need to see and my pm doc is willing to talk to thoughs still unconvinced.