Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

23 and just had 3rd surgery Two weeks ago

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 23 and just had my 3rd back surgery. The last was two weeks ago L4,L5,S1 discectomy and laminectomy. This is probably going to be a bunch of random questions and info.

The pain is ok now but I have lived with the pain since I was 15 so I guess I have forgotten what life without pain really is. I had my first when I was 16 due to a football injury and my second 5 months later after getting rear ended in a car accident. I have gotten to the point to where I can take Norco 10/325 and soma all day long and not even notice I have taken anything. Although I'm not taking either at this time. They have put me on Oxycodone and valium. I don't know how long I should stay on them I have been trying to cut back to only taking my meds twice a day. I hate the thought of being dependent on some drug to live a happy life. I haven't asked my doctors for a refill since the surgery. I am about to run out. I know they don't want me taking them for very long and I don't want to be on them! I just feel like its an addiction but one I have because of the pain.

I have a girlfriend soon to be fiance in a couple weeks/hopefully... Shhhhh. Shes been there and helped me though all this. I want to have a long and happy life without the pain and the meds. Is it possible? What should my expectations be? Should I be scared of taking my meds much longer? When I was 16 I really didn't think much about how much my life would be effected by all this but know its a very scary thing. Any advice or thoughts would really help. Thank you!

• Hi Quenten!

I'm quite sure you'll get loads of replies to your post, because most people, including me, hold strong views on the subject (pain medication)!

My view is simply this: if you're in pain and the medication stops it, take it. If you can live without the medication and you're not in pain, don't take it.

As to whether or not you'll be able to live your life without 'drugs', well people drink coffee (caffeine) and coke (caffeine) and the UK has just pronounced marijuana to be less dangerous than that those 2 over-used drugs ......... alcohol and tobacco! I'm not criticising people who drink or smoke, but I just don't want to be criticised for needing strong analgesics.

I know that's not what you're saying, but life has dealt you a rough hand. Hopefully things will go well for you, regardless - and many congratulations on 'almost being a fiance'!!

Bye, Val

PS Sorry - I got myself a bit bogged-down there!

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. we have some things in commmon. i injured my back at 15 and have had back pain ever since. that is over 40 years ago.... please follow your doctor's orders. cut down on your meds when you can... :? they are a neceessary life line for many of us.. there is no need to be in pain if you have prescribed medication for it!!! that is just my opinion!!! :D please take care and know you have every chance for a happy life with your soon to be bride... :D good luck! Jenny :)
  • I think that Val pretty much wrapped up what my views are on it. Being physically dependent on the meds for pain control is totally different than being an addict and abusing your meds. If you need them for pain control and they help you have a better quality of life I would not(and don't) hesitate to take them. If you are able to have a fairly pain free and decent quality of life without the meds than I would not continue to take them. I hope that helps ease your mind a little bit. Good luck.
  • Most doctors who have treated me do not want me in pain and are willing to give me the meds. (I don't know if that is good either).

If you are in pain and need the meds, I would take them. If your doctors are monitoring what and how much you are taking, I wouldn't worry. By the same token, I have asked my doctors about the side effects of being on pain meds long term (even ibuprofen).

Don't ashamed to take paid meds. Be proactive and educate yourself about the drugs you are taking and be an advocate with your doctors.
  • I'm sorry you have had so much back trouble, and at such a young age, too. How nice that you have joy in your life, too. Congrats on finding someone you want to spend the rest of your life with!

Oxycodone gets a bad rap because it is abused by so many people. However, it is also a really helpful drug when used as prescribed. The fact that you are aware of the possibilities of addiction will most likely prevent it from happening. Surgeons want you to take the medicines they prescribe for you. They only get upset when the patient is calling for refills more often, indicating the patient is using too much and too frequently.

I hope you have a complete recovery and will not have to worry about spine issues for years to come.