Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre employment Drug test , prescription meds

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Management
I have a job offer from a very large company. They are also a LAB and do drug testing for other companies. My position is technical and has nothing to do with the lab or lab areas, its in the computer tech field.

When they send the formal offer they will require me to go to one of their local labs to give a drug test. My question is I am on a perscription for methadone. Have been for 5 years, (had a back injury and very stupid doctor who perscripbed this stuff, and have had a hard time weaning off)

But although its a perscription, its normally given to get people off illegal drugs and Im certain they would change their mind on the offer if they knew Im on methadone.

Its a very low dose, never has effected my work. I dont even feel the stuff actually. But its really helped with pain management.

Normally I wouldnt worry about it since they are not supposed to report drugs if there is a perscription for it... at least thats my understanding , however this company is the lab! and although Im not going to work in the lab, they could certainly email or call the manager and report this to him, and I beleive most people wouldnt want to hire someone on methadone no matter what the reason.

any recommendations???

• I am in a position of responsibility too. I have been in this position for 25 years, and as time has progressed, my meds have been added and changed as time goes on. My GM and 3 others know what I am on, so if I have an adverse reaction to the meds, they can help me and realize that I need medical attention.

I keep a copy of my current script in my wallet, so if I am ever questioned, I have proof that I am on these meds legally.

My suggestion is to be upfront, with your new employer. You are placing negative expectations, on your outcome, because of how you feel about it. As an employer, I am very much willing to cut slack, when I know that someone has an underlying condition. I know that I am not allowed to ask what meds you are on, but in the case of mandatory testing, it is no different than my Dr getting me to wizz, for a test.

Take care C45
  • Honesty is the best way to go. I would advise you to explain to them what you just explained to us. Make sure they are aware that you take this, and that you have proof of the medication being prescribed to you, and what it's for, etc. I would think that they would appreciate your honesty so that there are no suprises rather than it coming up after the test and they have to disqualify you w/o even having a chance to explain. But, that's just my opinion.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,877
    Honesty is the best Policy

Go to them and let them know exactly what is going on.
    You never want them to 'find' something , because automatically they will look at that is if you were trying to hide something.

When we have nothing to hide, its easy to be upfront and tell them whats going on
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I would think that the department doing the testing is under the same legal necessity to keep info confidential as if they were doing this for another company. If the law says that drugs you have a prescription for are not reported to the employer then they should have to abide by the same law for internal use.

I am sure that the laws governing what an employer has the right to know vary from state to state. They may have the right to know in case it would affect your job but they would have to keep that info within HR strictly.

On the real side of this I don't know what to do. On Friday my boss walked into my office as I was taking my Neurontin and Skelakin. Of course I had 4 white bills and one big pink pill. He didn't ask and I didn't tell. I have heard this debate here before. Do you tell your boss and risk the info being used against you possibly indirectly or do you hide it and hope no one finds out? Don't know but I might get a call from HR on Monday....
  • I agree - don't let them fine it before you tell them. Take all your paper work with you.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.