Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

All pet lovers can you explain this

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lighten and Brighten
I have a dog that would not hurt a flea but is how should I put it "socially unacceptable". We have been banned from the dog park, politely asked not to come back to training class unless it is a one on one class. He just gets so excited when around people he jumps on them, licks them to death and no matter what I have done I cannot break him of this. There is only one time a year that he behaves and that is halloween. I will let him sit on the porch with me to pass out candy and he knows if he misbehaves he has to go inside. He sits on the porch next to me and does not move....behaving like the perfect dog. Why can I get him to behave one night of the year and all 364 days of a year he is socially unacceptable!
I would love to be able to take this dog everywhere with me but cannot with his behavior. So if anyone has any ideas I would like to hear them. I know he is capable because its been proven for three years straight there is one night a year he behaves.

• Well I am no pet psychologist but I would guess that he behaves because the people come to him. In the other situations people stay away and he has to go to them.

I don't think you will change this behavior but age might settle him down some. The most important thing is to give him all the love that he gives to you and be happy to have him.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    When they jump on you. Use your knee to push them back and down. say the same command each time like down. always use the same command. And point your finger at him at the same time. the first time he doesn't jump right back up. Real quick, praise him and give him a small treat.
    For licking, he must first know the command "don't lick. Say don't lick, gently hold his snout for a minute. And if he dose it again, repeat this. And the moment he does not lick after the command. Praise him and give him a small treat. Fast, so he will start to understand the praise and reward and what it's for.
    The commands must be simple and never change the command for the particular thing you want him to do.
    The reward and praise must be pretty quick. So he can get it before he has the chance to do it again.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Use a collar similar to this:

It does not hurt the dog, but provides the same "bite" around the neck that mama dog would give to correct her young. I have one for each of my dogs and I barely have to give the tiniest tug for them to understand that they are not doing things right.

My dogs were the same way, each of them are 100 pounds, and a very stern "down" with a slight tug and it took no time for them to learn what is acceptable and what is not. They are really good at throwing a tantrum when they don't get their way but I never back down and they stopped when they learned that tantrums didn't work.

Be consistent and be firm, your fine doggie will come around!
  • Is the a punishment when he does these other behaviors? There is a Halloween time, and he knows it.

I feel for you were have a small ( Thankfully! ) 4 legged son that NO ONE other then us and our grandkids like.

He is like a cat when no one is around - just lays around quietly. But let someone come in to our home and he is like a crazy dog! Jumping and just being terrible!
    We are now at the stage where most of the time he has to be kenneled when we get company.

Please do let us know how things work out for you two :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My dog is a shih-poo. He is a small dog and LOVES anyone that comes within 10 feet of him. I also have to remove him from the room if we have company because not everyone loves him.lol. I have tried every form of training you can think of even enlisted help from the vet. The vet believes he may be mentally challenged. After doing all the vets suggestions and yes I was very consistent with the training she ended up giving me valium for him. Which I only use during thunder storms and christmas. Please do not think I am complaining about my dog. I love this dog and baby him more then I should but I would love to able to take him to the dog park. We go on daily walks but if I see anyone walking towards us I cross the street to avoid the uncontrolable excitment that I know will happen. He is a puppy mill dog that I rescued and the most loyal and loving dog I have ever had. I just would like to be able to do more things with him. I know he is trainable because he will do anything for a peanut butter m&m. He will sit. lay down,roll over and high five but only for the m&m (which is not good for him). I have tried to find a dog treat that he likes as much but have no luck finding one. If I try to get him to do the tricks without the M&M he refuses to do them. So needless to say he rarely does his tricks. Stubborn maybe. Isnt it funny how these creatures can just steal your heart. I just want to make life happier for him.
  • i say try the "pincher" collar. this is the same collar Jay recommends as well. i have one for my 70# boxer/pit and would not dream of walking her without it..it looks medieval but has safety features in place and is actually is very comfortable for the dog. in fact, her trainer recommended the collar for her as a smaller "choke" collar could be a danger to her wind pipe due to her large neck...before i used the collar i had her pulling me down the street and all over the place. the collar allows me to be in control and keep us both safe... :X good luck and try some different collars for your safety and your dogs'!! Jenny :)
  • Susan please take this with the spirit it is intended as - I seriously do not think he is mentally challenged. lol He is SMART enough to only do things for a M&M - that is not a mentally challenged dog in my opinion - he is rather smart I would say lol ;)

I also understand you are not complaining about him. When people hear us talk about Mojo they are like "well get rid of him: and we are SHOCKED ! :jawdrop:

NO WAY! =;

We like you would just like to see him behave a lot better in public.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • O:) Hi, we also have one of the only dogs that failed the K-9 good neighbor classes, TWICE! She is a Border Collie Mix. Very smart and very stubborn. She also loves everyone and life in general. Have you tried bacon treats? Or cook up some real bacon, cool it and carry it in a plastic bag. It has helped with our Rosie. She is two now and on her way to being one of the smartest dogs I've ever had. Just takes alot of patience.

Good Luck & Keep trying, they are worth it!

Donna =D>

• How old is your doggie? It may be she is just going through the "terrible two's"!

Yes, I also agree - she can't be all that mentally challenged if she knows how to act for an M&M! But, like Paul said - chocolate is definitely not something you want to feed her. Not sure about the peanut butter... It's good protein....

There's a program on one of my DirecTV satellite channels (forget which one - Animal Planet maybe?) that has this little tee-ninsy lady who comes into people's homes and shows them how to get their unruly dogs to behave. Don't be fooled with the "hour long" program, though. I believe it takes up to 2 weeks or more for the desired effects to happen.

That's why I like cats. They actually are the ones giving the training!

Good luck!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I just can't be trained. My mother tried, my wife tried, and everyone else failed too!!!
    Good luck, Jim =))
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Cats....
    I actually like cats, except for the fact that I hate the one we have now...

She is only using the litter box when it is EMPTY of all waste. If she pees in it and returns to do number II and no one has scooped it number II goes on the floor beside the box...If it is clean she will use it for number II. We even went out and bought one of those stupid automatic litterboxes. She won't wait the 5 minutes the box waits before automatically scooping! She goes on the floor before the box runs!

We have tried everything, the vet says she is fine. We have changed food, litter, etc, etc, etc;

One website says she is MAD at us...well, not as mad as we are at her...

We are going to try two litterboxes beside each other and see if we can keep up with her habits, arg.

Our dog is great. he is old and in pain, but still our buddy. He sits and holds out a paw and waves when we come home at night. I wish I could make him young again.