Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shaving off bone spurs

LovinggardenerLLovinggardener Posts: 494
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just went into see an OS because I fell. In the new X-ray, he showed me bone spurs that are very close to touching.

Can someone give me some information about bone spurs? Should I be worried about them ever touching each other?

The OS said that the bone spurs could not be shaved off, but I thought I read some where they could be.

He said the next step would fusion.
advertisement

Comments

• Nice to hear from you. How have you been feeling other than the fall? I assume you are back to work....?

If you understood what the OS said, I have no idea what he is talking about. Perhaps he is talking about vertebrae touching? Bone spurs or osteophytes are little bony growths that come about as a part of a degenerative process.

Read all about them here:

http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/back-pain/bone-spurs-osteophytes-and-back-pain

OK, I found a diagram and now I think I understand. The bone spurs that I was thinking of grow into the foramina and they can be shaved off. But when there is instability in the back,and degeneration in a disc, sometimes the vertebrae will grow bone spurs in the body's attempt to increase stability. (I am sending the diagram in a PM). I think this is what your OS was probably referring to. Is it at the same disc where you had the two surgeries?
  • Actually, I have been doing great up until the fall. The fall reignited some of the old pains but the medrol pack is helping. I am crossing my fingers that once the steroids wears off that I will be feeling better.

My new OS said that I will probably have to deal with intermittent chronic back pain for the rest of my life.
  • Do you have a new OS since your last surgery?
  • I don't know much about the different kinds of bone spurs, but I do know that they can be shaved off. My surgeon took several of mine off. My bone spurs were a big source of pain for me (one of several) and I am glad he was able to get most of them (some were in a bad spot and he couldn't get to them). Gwennie's answer was much more informative than mine, just thought I would give my two cents worth.
    Take care and have a good day,
    Sinerely,
    Rachel
advertisement