Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post Surgery Workouts

Mark33MMark33 Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok, I had an L5/S1 fusion 12 days ago. I got my staples out about 4 days ago. My first return visit and Zray appointment is a week from tomorrow. In the meantime I amdoing what the Doctor ordered and that is walk, walk, walk.. Let me tell you I am so happy and proud of what I am capable of doing just 12 days after the procedure I went through. If you would of asked me 10 days ago if I thought I would be up and about like I have been the last 3 days I would of said your a NUTS!! So this takes me to my question.

Tomorrow I am going to the gym to walk laps on the track. Would it be horrible if I did ANY type of light weight workout that has nothing to do with the back or putting pressure on my spine? I am talking thing like seated curls with LIGHT weights, maybe some light band exercises that do not consist of me bending or twisting? Now please remember, I am not talking about squats or crazy things like that, I am saying "simple" exercises where I am not put in any type of position to put pressure on my lower back.

What do you all think?

• I'm not going to give you the response you'd like, but maybe someone else will. I think you would be taking a big risk to do anything more than what the doctor has cleared you for. You are still very early in the healing process and it would be a shame to do anything that would jeopardize what you've accomplished so far.

Would you have to use your arms for any of these exercises? Any movement of the arms or head will cause movement in the spine, albeit slight.

Just to be on the safe side, if I were you, I would want until after your appointment next week when you can speak with your surgeon.
  • agree with Gwennie. You've just been through a nasty surgery and, although you're doing extremely well, do you really want to go through it again? Don't push your luck. Take the time to rest and heal. You can be the he-man when the doc says it's okay.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Gwennie and Linda are giving you good advice. If this is something you still want to do, I would suggest just calling the doctor's staff in the morning before going to the gym. Explain what you want to do, and the nurse will either clear you for it or tell you it is best to wait until you see the doc. It would be so very easy to hurt yourself at this point, so please remember to follow doctor orders. You don't want to be still hanging around this website 3 years post op because things didn't heal like they were supposed to. :)
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I agree with the others.
    I only had microdiscectomy and was told no weights. I even asked at week 2 and they looked at me like I was crazy. I pressed them . . .and they explained that my core needed time to heel so please not to lift, especially over my head.

I would wait the extra week and then talk to dr.
  • Oh you gave me a flashback with this one! I couldn't wait to get back into the gym and when I found I could walk like crazy and felt better and better, the temptation was unbelievably strong to just do some light weights. STUPID!!! I wound up tearing some internal stitches and set myself back a bit. Even machines and light weights will engage muscles that have recently been insulted. Let your doc give you the thumbs up before you give the gym a whirl.

Glad to hear you feel so good!

• The doc will pass you along to a PT a few weeks post-op. Do EXACTLY what he tells you that you can do or not do. Discs take 3 months to heal and nerves can take up to one year.

You can usually get back and do most of what you used to do as long as the tensions on the back are controlled (i.e. probably no double black diamond skiing etc). but you have just had major, major surgery and rushing a return to activity prior to professional clearance is just not prudent.
  • I have decided to take everyones advice and just WALK! I am 13 days post L5/S1 surgery and I made it 2 miles yesterday! I was so pumped that I could go that far! I have a Dr's appointment Monday and will ask him then about any type of light weight lifting. I hope he sets me up with a good PT..