Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help me.... post surgery pain

pinknwhtrosesppinknwhtroses Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 20 days out from a 2 level (L4-L5 and L5-S1) PLIF.. the pain is immeasurable. My doctor has changed my pain meds many times trying to get me relief. Has anyone found a med that has helped them or a combo? Thanks Nikki

• I am so sorry to hear of your pain Nikki.

Could you please post what meds you are taking and/or have tried?

Even with that knowledge posted remember we all are so different and what works for one will not always work for someone else.

However I would be happy to suggest ideas once I know what you have tried.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I don't remember what I was taking. I think the muscle pain was the worst and the Valium helped a lot at first. The Fentenly patches would wear off to quick so he changed me to a pill. Sorry I can't tell you what it was.

The main thing for me was to take them on schedule and stay ahead of it. I kept a notebook with my pill basket and my family helped me.

Try to rest and don't over do things.

• Before surgery I was taking Soma and 5/325 percocet

After surgery it was:

ocycodone hcl 15mg 1 tab every four hours, this helped a bit, I was out cold with in 10 minutes of taking it and I hallucinated and having to set my alarm every 4 hours to take it wasnt working well.

now its ocycontin 20 mg 1 tablet twice a day, it not doing anything but putting me to sleep for a long period of time
  • It may take a few days to get the oxy in your system and feel some relief. I found that mepergan fortis (demerol) worked ok post op but it did tend to knock me out. Not sure if it would work for you but it did help me. Good luck.
  • I don't have any advice to offer you about the pain meds but I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope the Oxy kicks in for you asap!
  • ok oxi is now upped to 40 mg twice a day .. i hope this works.. also i guess i need to stop doing so much.. thanks for the advice and well wishes. prayers and healthy thoughts for everyone xoxo nikki
  • hi Pink, sorry you are so miserable..all I can say is that after much trial & error after all my spinals,the only thing that actually worked for me was a combo of dilaudid + valuim. Take some Zofran w/ it if you are prone to nausea, but my NS had me on 2 mg of dilaudid every 4-6 hrs + 5 mg of Valuim after the fusion & it was a miracle. I stayed @ that amount for about 2 months, then tapered down.

Everything else either didn't work or made me sick. The dilaudid (hydromorphone) is 8 times stronger than morphine but usually doesn't make you sick (the Zofran was precautionary as I get sick from almost everything) It took the pain waaaaay down, allowed me to sleep & rest well (very important) and by 6 months out, I was down to only 1 per day + valuim PRN...

Just my 2 cents after 3 surgeries & many trials b4 discorvering this "cocktail".