Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery 4 weeks Post-Op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I'm almost five weeks post-op. I had a C3-C4 fusion from resulting from an injury sustained in car accident...Long story, short, fracture in the bone and bad infection in the spine. They did remove a piece of my hip bone and used it for the fusion. I am 37 and in excellent health. I went back to work at 2 weeks post op part-time after the first xray showed excellent progress. Over did it a few times, but overall it felt good to be out of the house. I've been walking, driving, carrying things, probably generally testing the limits of what I can get away with. I'm now working 6 hour days and I want to work out. I've been doing some working out with my arms, shoulders and chest muscles (on a home gyrotonic machine), tried a little ab work and leg work. How long until most people were fully active again. I want to start dancing again and getting back into pilates, but my surgeon has yet to say a peep to me about physical therapy. I go back next week for my next Xray. What are other people's experiences with returning to normal activity.

• I'm glad you are feeling so well. Is your surgeon aware of all your activities? What has he given you for restrictions? After going through all the difficulties and expense of a fusion, I am curious why you are "generally testing the limits of what I can get away with"?

Feeling well at four weeks, does not necessarily mean you will continue to feel well at six weeks or six months. Most people do not fuse until around three months, and the fusion is not considered "solid" until about a year. During the first three months, the surgical area is more vulnerable to reinjury.

It's great you feel like doing so much. I just hope you don't overdo it. Please be sure you are following your surgeon's instructions.

Good luck.
  • Sadly, my doctor is aware of my activities and of course came me lots of cautionary advice, at the same time, he wants me to not restrict myself. I'm very careful with the neck and do continue to wear the brace as he suggested, as needed. My initial posting makes me sound like a helion, but I am being very careful, but at the same time, I read some of the postings and fear I am going to hard. My exercise regiment I'm doing for myself is very restrictive, as he has not yet assigned any physical therapy, but I don't want to become inactive, but your response is a wake up call. I will talk to my doctor at length about my activity level, I just more curious about some of the "easier" recoveries people have had and make sure I'm not crazy.