Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Micro endoscopic dysectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had a micro endoscopic dysectomy this feb will be 2 years ago. Occassionally I get spells in my left leg. The pain is different since before the surgery..it is a pressure feeling instead of a burning feeling now. I have had 2 more mri's and they dont show any compression. Anyone know could i have nerve damage or how long does it take for the nerve to heal? When I go to my dr who performed the surgery, he just writes me prescriptions and doesnt tell me much. i have another appointment with him the 13th of this month. I am flaring up again and I can hardly walk in the mornings. Since the surgury I have only had about 4 flare ups that last about 2 weeks. Any feedback would be appreciated

• had an EMG? There are tests that can be done to determine if you have nerve damage. There are a few certain meds that deal specifically with nerve pain.
  • If you had nerve damage, I would think it would have shown up very soon after the procedure. If it has developed some time after that, it is probably from a new compression. Perhaps there is a small disc piece left over from surgery that is floating around, and does not show up on the MRI...or perhaps there is something irritating the nerve, causing inflammation that is pressing on the nerve. Maybe you could be a bit more forceful with your surgeon and make it clear that you'd like to know what is causing the pain.

Nerve pain is usually cleared up by a year, or two years at the outside limit. Most doctors will tell you that if it hasn't regenerated by a year, the nerve damage will be permanent.

You might want to try one of the "nerve meds" like gabapentin or Lyrica to see if it helps.

Hope you can get to the bottom of this. I know how frustrating it is -- I have a similar problem...sometimes you just have to keep looking for answers.

• Which meds is he prescribing? That may be an indication where he thinks the problems lie. Lyrica or Neurotin?

• I am taking Lyrica and some muscle relaxers. Physicans are lax on giving prescriptions around here. I work on my feet 8 hours a day and it is getting hard. My appointment isnt until 13th of this month and I had to go to Prime care before then and they only would give me 10 lower tabs.. I dont have these spells much but when I do they are crippling. I am getting a new MRI for my nuerosurgeon to look at and am taking my xrays from Prime Care. i am also athletic and go to the gym, but am currently laying off that until this pain subsides..any more feedback???
  • It really can take a long time for nerves to heal completely. If you are not getting enough relief from your current meds maybe you can talk to your doc on the 13th about making changes, Maybe you can at least explain that you need something more for the flare ups. When all else fails I use ice 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off which does help with inflammation. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • What are you taking for the inflammation? My understanding that Lyrica will not help with that and neither will a muscle relaxer. I have found for myself that sodium diclofenic wrks well but you may ask him for what he believes can work best for you as from your description they are giving you nothing to handle that. OTC stuff can work well but you need to ne taking something for that also.

Also what type of PT has he prescribed? Is it similar to the stuff on this site? Can you walk much? You say you can stand all day so that is a good sign but how about sitting?

• I called my doctor for pain meds but they wouldnt give me any. I am getting my files sent to another doctor and my new MRI. My current dr hasnt followed up much with me since I have had the surgery. They are rude..Everytime I get an appointment it gets canceled or postponed and got tired of it. I see a new dr on the 10. I am taking the genric for lower tab and the antiflamatory, Lodine. I am sitting fine but leaning on stuff when I stand which is getting difficult. How long does it take for a nerve to heal? Thanks everybody for your inputs. I do stretching exercises at home and I also work out at the gym 4 times a week. But lately I am only doing stretching exercises and resting from the gym.
  • I think seeing a new doc will be the best thing for you as he will approach a brand new perspective and will probably re-check stuff the other doc takes for granted.

As far as nerve healing, it takes quite some time as I believe it heals very slowly. Before making any assumptions about never damage, let the doc do an emg test. I also think he should recommend some meds and maybe look into your PT program.

As gweenie said it could be various things so lets hope the new doc will give a new perspective and more important some relief for you.

• Thanks for all the input everybody !! Your continued opinions and knowledge is greatlty appreciated. I hope I dont have to have surgery again, the other dr and MRI's didnt see any compression. I will see tuesday what this dr says and what the new MRI is.

• Have you tried keeping a journal so you know what you were doing prior to when you have one of these episodes of pain? You mentioned you went to the gym. I'm just wondering if perhaps sometimes you are doing more extensive physical activity that is causing some nerve irritation.

The fact that the situation comes and goes indicates something different from a situation where the pain is a constant.

When you have nerve pain, it is usually situation like mine -- it only hurts when I stand or walk. Some people only hurt when they sit. ETC. It usually gets worse when doing a particular activity. I'm wondering if you aren't doing something at the gym that is aggravating something and it is causing inflammation. When you back off a bit, the inflammation goes down, but they you do the activity again, and the inflammation increases. Perhaps the doctor will order a steroid injection to try to calm down the situation.
  • Dennis. A new doc and a fresh set of eyes may be just what you need in order to get some relief. I don't blame you for changing. Rude staff is all that it takes for me to make a change. Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday and please keep us posted.
  • I saw my new doctor today. We went over my new MRI. He showed me I had 3 slightly bulging disc that is causing the pain. He also said that the micro endoscopic surgery I had in 08 didnt work and that those less invasive surgeries usually dont. He said that you have to make a much larger cut to get to the discs. He also doesnt prescribe medicines and he is just a surgeon. It scared me. I think I would rather live with this than to have half my body cut open. Anybody have any recommendations on what I can do and what kind of doctors I need to see that can handle sciatica???
  • anymore advice...please???
  • They can help treat your symptoms...there are different meds and therapies that they can attempt with you...the trick is usually find a good one; one that will work with you on exercises as well.

I personally reherniated at the same level again and am back at pain management because I'm not sure if surgery is really necessary. I just had my second epidural steroid injection yesterday to treat this sciatica...its not guaranteed to work but I'm pretty much willing to try anything before more surgery right now.

• Only a surgeon and does not recommend meds? I do not understand that as my meds were from my ortho and not any of the other docs. Did you explain you were in pain?

I know it is quite scary right now as he just told you the surgery did not work and you have other issues but did he tell you what would be the next steps?

Does he believe you need another surgery? PM as farmgrrl pointed out? I understand he believes you need a more invasive surgery but does he believe you need it.

• Thanks everybody...I saw another doctor friday, nuerosurgeon/orthopedic doctor. I took my xrays and mri. He says it is spinal stenosis and we are trying less evasive methods, nonsurgical. He prescribed Mobic and I am able to walk now without holding on. He has also scheduled me an epidural. I am trying to understand about spinal stenosis and have done research on it on the internet. Can anyone shed any light on it? Will it get worse overtime? Dr said it want paralze me. I am not but 49 and will be 50 next month. I try to be active at the gym but I guess I am going to have to change that now. I also work on my feet most of the time. It is amazing how each doctor is telling me something different! Yall's comments are greatly appreciated.