Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back Home From Disneyworld

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone,

Well I am back from Disney, and I did pretty well! Don't get me wrong, I was suffering on and off, dearly, but I managed. I got one of those Guest Assistance Cards, but like another Poster, there weren't many times where I had to use it, the crowds/lines were very light.

Also had my 3 legged cane with seat and that helped a great deal. It was very interesting, not one person offered me their seat when I had to stand, with my obvious cane. I even had people trip over my cane and give me a dirty look, like it was my fault, and no "sorry/excuse me" (that was disappointing).

Florida had a heat wave the whole time we were there, oh well. Also, my husband came down with flu-like symptoms that turned into bronchitis. So for the last 3 days I was on my own with the kids. The best laid plans of mice and men.........

I was very pleased with Disney's help. If you are ill you can have them drive you to Urgent Care and return you back to your hotel. They are also extremely helpful to anyone with a disability. I was very impressed.

All in all, whatever pain and discomfort I had to deal with was worth it to see the look on my kids' faces, and at the end of the trip when they thanked me for planning such a great vacation, it put a big smile in my heart.

• Delighted to hear things went well for you...with a few unexpected bumps in the road, I guess. It is "interesting" how people today respond to those with disabilities.

I'm glad you were able to make some happy memories with your family that you will all remember forever.

Welcome back.

• Thanks Gwennie,

It is good to be back with my Spiney friends and their support. 2 weeks countdown for my next surgery, need you all more than ever!!
  • I was just thinking of you and wondering if you and your family had a great time and made it back home safe and sound. Your comments about other Disney-goers is quite disheartening and it's sad to think that so many people are so self-centered and insensitive to the needs of others. I am so glad you made such special memories with your girls and hope your husband is feeling better. My surgery is tomorrow, so I'll let everyone know how I did when I feel well enough to post.

Take care,

Lisa :)
  • So happy for you that you shared this special time with your family. Disney does take good care of disabled people and it was interesting to hear what lengths they would go to if you suddenly find yourself ill there. Hope your husband is feeling better.
    Take care and good luck with the upcoming surgery.
    Peggy x
  • I'm glad you had a good time Lisa. Yes, as parents, no matter how severe our pain is - those little faces lighting up sure does make it all worth it!

Although "DISNEY" is good about those with physical or mental limitations, I find the guests are NOT. The couple times we had gone with our kids, I just - I don't know. Just something about the people there rubbed me wrong.

Universal Studios was way different. And way better. Everyone there from Guest Services, to the sweeper uppers, to the guests and everyone in between had a much better attitude I guess. And it was slightly less expensive.

Well, thanks for sharing with us! Got any pictures to share too? Did y'all do breakfast with the characters? We had Pooh and Eyeore (who is my all time favorite - so forlorn...) and Piglet. My youngest was a little leery of those giant characters (he was used to seeing them on TV, where they were much smaller and one-dimensional!)... I've always said, it's nice to have kids - you have a good excuse for doing crazy things like that!

Take care and have a wonderful (restful) day! Hope you are able to bounce back from the stress of it all (the riding, the walking, the standing....) rather quick!
  • You are right; the folks at Disney are wonderful to those with any kind of disability (and their family).
    However, I know what you mean about the guests of Disney. Our bus had to wait a few minutes to get a wheelchair and scooter loaded, as well as the people riding them. The looks on some faces! The poor things were so inconvenienced!

I did find some very considerate people who saw my cane and my somewhat pained look and were very kind to me. I just think more people should act that way.

We did lunch with Winnie the Pooh and friends. My shy 4 1/2 year old blew me away: she was hugging them and high-5-ing them!

Sorry to say I have still not joined the rest of the world with the digital cameras (I know, I know...) As it is, I have a memory lapse when it comes to developing the film.
  • Unbelievable. Guess we can never be too curtious.
    Glad you were able to have a family trip before surgery.

• So glad you had a wonderful time. I hope your husband is recovering. Now you can rest up before the next surgery. I went to a PBR Bullriding event once with a broken leg in a cast. You would not believe how many people bumped into it, me on crutches, etc. Well, yes you would :D And dirty looks galore. I just think to myself, some day you will be where I am now, the teenagers were the worst. Take care.

• :D So happy so little ones had a great time at Disney. Poor hubby! Hope he's feeling a bit better.

Rest up and we'll be here for you for your upcoming surgery.

Take care,

• Now that Disney is "out of the way", I can count down to surgery and get all of these last minute things done. 13 days to go! Ugh, just felt my heart rate jump when I typed that!

Thanks for being here, its a great place for the support so many of us need.
  • Lisa-

I, too, am glad that you and your family had a great time at DisneyWorld! I've been there several times-most recently was in June, and yes I also saw what you saw from the guests (mostly the teens in my case as well but also saw some "glaring looks" from adults and even ELDERLY people!). Thankfully it wasn't that often, and honestly, the day we took the wheelchair (Animal Kingdom) was the WORST for it! The other days with just the cane I wasn't treated nearly as bad by other guests! Go figure *rolls eyes*

I found guest services to be very friendly, but have to completely agree with Jeaux...it's MUCH better at Universal Studios (that's my favorite of the "tourist traps", along with Kennedy Space Center). In fact I can't remember ever being treated rudely at all at Universal or Kennedy (especially not Kennedy...that's an entirely different class of guests altogether anyway-I dont think they allow rude people in the gate or something cuz I've never seen it LOL). One year, back several years ago when I still lived in Michigan, I brought my 3 sons down to FL and we had 5 day passes for Universal...we went all 5 days. It was exhausting (my back problems weren't near as bad then...bad enough, but not as bad as now for sure!), but sure made for some great memories for my boys & I. After all, that's what it's all about, right? Who cares about some snotty, disrespectful, poorly mannered & improperly raised teenagers-as long as MY sons never treat anyone that way I wont let others ruin my day when doing such things! (with a disabled mom, g'ma (MS & bad knees/hip replacements) & great g'ma (also MS), canes/wheelchairs are rather "normal" in our family, & they damn well better NOT treat the disabled poorly! Like I tell them, I can still kick their asses no matter HOW old I am, lol)*giggles*

I know how nervous one gets before having surgery (haven't had back surgery yet, but have had several other surgeries, mostly for female issues)....and I know that telling you "don't think about it" won't work...but you know we're here for you & that's hopefully gotta help a little....? :)

Take good care & I hope the hubby is all better by now! Hope you come back to FL one day-I still think we need to have a Spine-Health Face2Face in Orlando...that'd be a blast! And if anyone treats us poorly, we'll smack 'em upside their head w/all our canes! hehe.
  • Your post put a smile on my face and in my heart to....because of your children.
    How I wish you did not have to deal with the pain and the heat. And poor hubby had to be ill!! Thats a bummer.
    But you made it and your family is so happy.
    Sending you a hug...
    Patsy W :H
This discussion has been closed.