Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pelvic fusion ...l-2 to s1

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
call dr and ask what kind of surgery i;m having.a 4 level fusion and decompression...then he said (pelvic fusion) can't find much on this.can anyone help me..thanks

• i can't find anything on pelvic fusion?..guess i'll call back my dr today to see if this is right.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I've never heard of a pelvic fusion. You should call the doctor and maybe ask them to clarify exactly what they will be doing (or are proposing to do). If there is any confusion ask them to send you a letter with the procedures written out.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • of this either, but from having had a three-level fusion, I can tell you that your pelvis won't be doing a whole lot of moving after surgery. I've often felt as though I've been nailed to a board. My physical therapist is haelping me though. Maybe some day I'll feel fairly normal again.

All the best to you!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I am 8 weeks PO from the same surgery you are having. L2-S1 4 level ALIF/PLIF(abdomen and back).. I don't know how this surgery could be done through the pelvis only. I never heard of anything like that. I am not a doctor nor do I have any medical training. Are you sure they didn't say PLIF?
  • i;m going to call the drs office again.it was the front office lady that told me this.said it was on my paper work.going to ask if she can fax me a copy.and ask if dr will call me.
  • Just a question for you. Do you reside in the U.S.? A friend of mine, living in Australia, referred to my lumbar fusion as pelvic fusion but then "corrected" herself when she found that it was only one level.

Is trishdownunder back on the site yet? She may know if this is a common term used in AU.
  • yes,living in the (usa)...i called my dr the lady on the phone said the paper work said ...pelvic fusion...ddd and spondylolysis.not very helpfull.i'll have my wife call the dr monday.i can;t even find anything on the internet about it.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If the paperwork is literally written out and not typed, perhaps plif is looking like "pelvic".
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Just to let you know, pelvic fusion is a real surgery. I am currently recovering from it, but it is a fairly unusual procedure reserved for a very specific subset of patients. That's why there isn't a lot of info floating around out there about it. I had a traumatic pelvic fracture (my sacrum) that never healed properly so they went in and put screws through it and fused one of the SI joints in my pelvis. So, on the off chance that you are having some sort of pelvic fusion I can hopefully answer your questions...
  • hi,lala329......thank you for posten... frist of all i want to wish you a good recovery..how long were you in the hospital? did they put rods in?...i;m 55 yrs old and thinking this will be a hard one to recover from.thank you for posten.i was really thinking that there was no (pelvic fusion).
  • can i bump this?hopen to get more info.
  • Do you have scoliosis?
  • no,i don't have scoliosis.guess i'll find out the 19th.
  • I guessing that if your going to have a four level fusion, yes you will have screws and rods to hold everything in place and stabilize those levels while the fusion is occuring. I had the same levels done 9 weeks ago and can help you with common questions. The best to you and a speedy recovery, Kevin
  • xMAR...hi, how long were you in surgery?