Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Going the natural route for chronic pain treatment...

ButterflyPainBButterflyPain Posts: 290
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:38 AM in Alternative Treatments
I recently had to drop one of my classes because I got so behind with my pain problems. The teacher kept suggesting getting off all my meds and going natural or herbal ... It got me thinking...But honestly I think if going that way was restorative to pain problems no one would be in pain you know? I am not opposed to it...It just got me thinking.

Obviously as a supplement sure, but to go purely like that for me I don't see how..Since I remember how I was before meds and help and that obviously wasn't working.

advertisement

Comments

• I am unsure of what meds you are on, and although I love the idea of you getting off all of your meds, it is not a teachers place to suggest it to you.

As you probably know, many medications and narcotics are difficult to get off of, especially with chronic pain. You should definitely seek the care of your M.D. if you are considering this, and they must have the same goals in mind as you.

There is nothing wrong with seeking a natural therapy during this process, whether it be chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, naturopathy etc...but do not take action on this without the help of you physician first.

The other professions are more then capable of giving guidance, support, and treatment to help you become healthier and pain free, but that initial step of reducing your meds can be a difficult one.

Best of luck.
  • Others may post the same thing, but I honestly do not know a pain patient who "wants" to take the narcs. I've tried everything supplements, horse linament, herbals, etc. I'm on oxycodone, which if you think about it is a natural derivative of the poppy plant,lol. Good luck
  • I have been prescribed the natural course numerous times. I pursued it with my lower back, never worked, then my neck, never worked. The natural, holistic way is an adjunct purely and only after corrective measure are taken. For example, I stretch my lower back everyday, done yoga, pilates, etc. and achieved great sucess with getting my lower back healthy. But that was only after I had surgery, not before.

I am not against the natural way, but it is something I think people pursue who do not have significant issues, just day to day aches and pains. If someone's pain goes away by taking herbs, supplements, stretching, acupuncture and chiropractic. Great, but then I can't imagine their pain was significant to begin with. I am personally all for yoga, pilates, eating well, sleeping well, taking good care of yourself, taking vitamins, etc. But that course should only be complmentary as it never seems to correct bulging, herniated discs with stenosis and arthritic changes in the body (bone spurs).

Please seek a NS or OS opinion that believes in comprehensive care and also shows themself to be contemporary when it comes to ways of fixing pain. Someone who thinks outside the box.

Best,

Jon