Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

has anyone had 2nd surgery for herniated disc?

adiputraaadiputra Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

Im 20 years old male and really stressed at the moment and needed some advices please. Here is my story:
Ive had back surgery in jan 2009 for herniated disc l4-l5 (laminotomy L4-5 on the right, discetomy of l4-5 and decompression of spinal canal). For the first 2 months after the surgery im still feeling some nerve pain and muscle tightness, However this condition is getting better as time goes by. Finally, probably 5 months after the surgery Im feeling totally great. I live my life freely without pain...
The problem started since 1 month ago, Im starting to feel some pain again (sometimes pain down the leg and but, feel discomfort when sitting). This is exactly the same feeling I had as when the first time I got this back problem.
The symptoms is more clearer now since 1 month ago. I can feel some sharp pain down on my right foot and lower back.
Im so depressed and confused about what to do.
Saw the doctor 3 weeks ago, had MRI and he said that nothing disaster happened. just because of the degeneration of the disc that makes it narrow in the spinal canal and caused some inflamation. The doctor asked me to take neurofen (anti inflammatory) for 3 weeks to reduce the inflammation.
The point that I worried is, I did not feel any pain before I saw the doctor (just uncomfy not clear pain) and at that time i did not take any medication. but now sometimes I feel sharp pain down on my right foot(taking medication).
Isn't it means that the condition is getting worse as the symptoms is more clearer compared to 3 weeks ago when i did not take medication at all?

Is there anyone experiencing same problem as mine?
Has anyone had 2nd surgery for microdiscetomy?

Im really confused and dont know what to do know. Im just worried that this condition gonna bring me back like i was before the surgery (cannot walk, sit, sleep).

Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated
Thank You

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Yes I had same surgery twice. 5 months apart.
  • Hi Susan,

May i know whats ur problem? and why did u go for the 2nd surgery? and what is the outcome?
    HOw are you now?

Thank youuu
  • I am 3 1/2 months post-MicroD/hemilaminectomy now. And while the majority of my left foot tingles/itches are gone, my actual back pain is still there (although it is of a different quality than before surgery... it used to always be a constant, deep, numbing pain; now it's more of a muscular pain that, while is always there, flares with more activity). I have over a decade of pain behind me, which means I went into the surgery not knowing how much it would help me (the best recovery rates are for those with acute issues, not chronic, years of pain such as myself).

On days when I have pushed myself too hard, I do get some radiating tingling & pain down my leg. I get extra pain in my legs, butt, back. But resting & ice packs greatly help.

All that said... at only 5 months, you're still recovering. It can take a year or more (per journal article reading) for nerves to heal up, if they do at all. Some people have instantaneous relief, others very, very slow. Some not much at all. While I can most definitely connect with your frustration of still feeling pain- please, don't make yourself start jumping to conclusions. Go with what your doctor(s) have to say for now, take recovery slow and easy, do your physical therapy daily, and give yourself- and your body- time to see what will happen.

The rates for successful second discectomies is very, very small. It's not something you'd want to jump to unless absolutely necessary.

• Ive had the surgery actually on feb 09. So its been 10 months now.
    I think ive already passed the recovery time. The point that make me worried is that ive already felt great 6 months after surgery (recovery period passed) and that now im feeling pain again.

Have you had another MRI for your problem? And what your doctor tells you about your problem if you dont Mind me asking??

Thank youu..
  • I was told by my NS that anyone who has had any type of spine surgery, will have pain flares off and on for the rest of their life. Normally with rest and some sort of anti-inflammatory med it will calm down and things will go back to normal.

However, that being said, never hesitate to consult with your doc if you feel that something isn't right and the pain doesn't resolve itself within a few days of conservative treatment.

Welcome to Spine Health.

• Oh, I'm sorry adiputra. I'd misread what you'd written and thought you were 5 months, not 10 months, post-op. I'll blame it on reading your post pre-morning-coffee ;-)

Hmm. Yes, I definitely see where your concern is. Having had 6 months with pain reduced and now to be back would be quite emotionally (let alone physically) challenging.

Re: your question about my status- no of course I don't mind you asking! That's what this site is for :-) My doc doesn't want to rush into an MRI right now, since it's only been a week of flare-up and there's not anything the MRI would tell us now that would change what I'm doing recovery wise. Also, my other issues are: misshapen spine (my lower lumbar vertebrae are a bit misshapen & odd, which has changed the normal weight-holding percentages of the lumbar discs), a 'backward' curvature of the spine (not scoliosis, but where the spine generally curves in, mine curves out), degenerated discs (L4/5, L3/4, L2/3), and a sacralization on the left. So... like so many of us that are here with a multitude of issues that combine to create our problems, everything ends up getting affected whenever one little part is off.

My doc is having me wait 2 weeks to see how the new issues go... hopefully they go away... and if not, well, that's getting ahead of myself. we'll see.

Keep me posted on your progress- I'm hoping for the best. We need encouraging stories on here.