Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery 11/3/09 Update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my 2 level (L4-S1) anterier fusion on tuesday (11/3/09) and I am currently in the hospital hoping to go home tomorrow (Sunday 11/8/09). Here is how the surgery / recovery went: Arrived at the hospital at 6am tuesday and there was no wasting time getting me in. Suregery took three hours and went as planned, I was in recovery for an additional two to two and half hours. First thing I remember is waking up vomiting - a lot, in recovery. The following days of recovery have been rough. The first problem I noticed was that I had breathing issues when I would get up out of bed; that gets better as I exercise more. This is somewhat concerning because I have never had breathing issues before (asthma etc.) Other issues I have had are initially going to the bathroom after the catheter was removed - got that figured out now, an acheing pain in my left leg that came a couple days after surgery and I thought that I would be walking a little better by now; I am pretty dependent on the walker. My pain has been between a 4 and 8 since the surgery, we are currently "experimenting" with the pain pills, steriods for my acheing leg, and anti-nausea medicine. All in all I know I just need to keep walking and resting and the pains will hopefully work themselves out with time and medicine.

• I'm sorry to hear you're having a somewhat rough go of it, but I hope you will continue to improve daily. Getting home will no doubt help alot.

All the best,
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Lost my reply somewhere ..

Anyway - here we go again:

The nausea was the worst thing for me - worse than the pain even. Best of luck on that - Phenegren (sp?) was what finally helped - at times it was so bad I couldn't take it orally.

Glad to see that you've made it through the first few days. Do watch for the dreaded bowel issues that usually crop up about now - Milk of Magnesia combined with Prune Juice usually take care of the problem within 2 hours.

Take it easy and take care - the next few weeks/months are tough ones.
  • Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I was really nauseous in the hospital too. They gave me something in my IV that helped a lot.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk. I hope you feel better and are pain free very soon!