Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 failed cervical ops and now more problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone, Well i guess a little history first. I first had an anterior fusion at c4-c5 using bone graft (not my own) and no plate, well it failed my body rejected it, requiring me to have another op 8 months later this time with a plate and another graft this time fashioned from a piece of my hip, graft worked but the plate was to long a was chipping the vertibrae above and below which they found out three years later and had to have it removed. After still hurting they found found that disc at c5-c6 had gone from the added pressure. Had to have it fused also with another plate and bone graft (even though I requested my bone they told me grafts had gotten much better since my first and said there wouldn't be any rejects) but like the first time my body rejected it which caused both upper screws to break and even though still in pain wasn't found for almost five years. Well due to all the scar tissue in front and other problems they found at the lower levels I was told I needed to have a posterior lamenectomy from c4 down to c7 (unbelievably painful) and even though I insisted on no bone grafts other than my own bone when I woke up and the Doc A came in and explained what they found and also mentioned that they used cadaver bone with whatever bone they removed from me. Well as you can guess I was both pissed an worried. Its been 6 months since and I'm in alot more pain than before the surgery and was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience like this and they also now want to put in a pain pump and drip meds right in my spinal canal, but I have had it with being cut open and being told this will help. But 90 mgs MSContin and 4 Percacet a day don't seem to help either. Please help for I'm a my ropes end and don't know where to turn. I am just a 44 male, and 2 kids would like to have their Dad back. Thanks to all it was good to know I'm not alone. Chris

• Hi Chris,

First let me say hi and welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will meet others who are or have gone through similar situations as yours. There is also some great articles that are doctor written and per-reviewed as well.

As far as your surgery issues, i sure hope you aren't using the same surgeons. I for one wouldn't be using a surgeon who is telling you one thing and then doing another. I am a bit confused when you speak of the bone grafting material, are you speaking of cadaver bone. I am not sure what could change in the years as a cadaver bone is cadaver bone. Or they will refer to it as allograft vs autograft. Auto meaning your bone and allograft another material be it cadaver or BMP or some other filler.

AS far as the pain you experiencing now, I guess the question is did surgery initially change the pain for the better and then it got worse over time, or the pain your having was worse following surgery? What does the fusion itself look like at 6 months out. If your having issues fusing your surgeons can try a bone growth stimulator to aid in the fusion process. Do they give you any reasons as to why you have so much pain at this point and time?

I can certainly appreciated not wanting to do more surgery as I have had 5 cervical surgeries myself. Those are not typical results however. I think it is of the utmost importance that they find the pain generator. What type of pain are you having? Is it your neck or referred pain? How many levels are you fused at? Do you have myelopathy?

Once again welcome to spine-health and look forward to reading more of your post. If I can be of any help don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • Hi Chris,
    You've come to the right place for ideas and friendship. You are no longer alone in your pain ordeal as we are all going through it too. Sure some have it worse than others, but we are all on here looking for ideas and answers.

I'm sorry your road has been so hard so far. Don't give up. There is lots to learn and to try still.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I also am a 4 cervical surgeries patient. Frustratng isnt it? I am in recovery phase of last surgery and daily my pain levels are rising. I am in the middle of getting test to see what is going on. I also am fused from c4 from c7. My surgeon told me that the posterior surgery is one of the hardest surgeries a patient can go through. How long ago has it been since your last surgery? I know the healing time for a posterior surgery is a long time. Hopefully things will get better for you.