Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What to do?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in New Member Introductions
Been recommended this site to study on what may happen with my back.
15 years ago, fell on holiday onto lower back. Had Doc take MRI then, turns out got L4 L5 black discs.

Saw a consultant at the time, said that I could have fusion, but as I was only 30 then, said that you can manage any pain you get, and maybe later in life you can have surgery or fusion to correct the pain.

Well, later in life has come round.

Now 44, and the past year has been not good. Very acute spiking pain in disc region at certain times (catches you unaware) and then (and more every day) very strong pain in the Sacro iliac region, causing very prolonged sharp pain in buttock and sciatic nerve on LHS. Done Physio, Chiropractor, Acuptuncture the lot.
Now this secondary pain in the RHS too. Consultant gave me a Nerve Root block, no effect.
Then discussed IDET treatment, so in order to have this, would have to have a Discogram

Had the Discogram, but found out that the L5 is so damaged that he found it difficult to get the needle in to inject dye. So will be near impossible to get IDET Catheter into the same gap, so IDET is no go.

Seeing him on Wednesday this week, to discuss pros and cons of the two remaining options - Disc Replacement or Fusion

Reading around,
whats the recovery rates
What options on Disc Replacement hardware used
who has had what type of Discs replaced and what with?
How long the recovery
What needs to be considered in hospital

Any recommendations on a postcard please....

Yours thank fully,

• On a postcard lol? I had L4/5 fusion. Recovery was rough first couple of months and then a gradual progressive improvement over a year. I still have some back pain, but I am much better.

Best wishes to you,

• Welcome to Spine Health Matt,

I only had a straightforward fusion, with rods ands screws, so I don't know much about disc replacement. You may want to do a research on that subject, as I have been seeing a lot of threads about it here. You may want to look up the thread "Back and neck surgery" as it may be helpful to you.

It is good that you found this site, as there are many people with similar experiences, and I am sure you can get some answers to your questions.

Good luck to you,

• I have not had a fusion yet so I really can't add anything about that surgery. I did have a microdiscectomy and wanted to suggest that you go to the Surgery thread and read the sticky titled Post Op Must Haves. I was very unprepared for my surgery and it made it even more difficult for recovery. Good luck to you and please do keep us posted.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have come to the right place to have all your questions answered for you. =D> we have videos, discussions, doctor's reports and general info on a variety of subjects.good luck and i know you will make the right decision. :D be sure and get more than one opinion. :D Jenny :)