Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oral Prednisone, day 5 of 6 days, no change... what is wrong?

ajamiesonaajamieson Posts: 65
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Pain Medications

Shouldn't my sciatic pain feel even a little better by now? I am on day 5 of a 6 day "shock" regimen of prednisone and so far no change. My sciatic is still excruciatingly painful. I feel like I am going to lose my mind! I emailed my doc but no response so far.

Thanks, Ann

• Unfortunately, sometimes it just doesn't work. The dose pak did nothing for me. My doctor tried a larger dose over a two week period and that did help some.

Have they suggested steriod injections yet? They are usually in a series of three.

Patience is crucial with this; they will just keep trying other things until something works.

Hang in there, I know how frustrating this can be.

• Thank you. Wow, I don't have anything at all scheduled until December 23 which is the earliest the doc could get me in for a spinal epidural. Does that just mean living with this excruciating pain for another 6 weeks?
  • be unbearable is there another doc that you could see earlier? Don't count the medrol dose pack out yet. It has always been a few days after I stop taking them before I noticed a difference. If there just is no other option you could go to the ER. They may be able to give you something to get you through until your appt. if the pain is not tolerable.
  • It may be worth your time to call back and see if you can get a regular office visit, rather than waiting on the procedure date.

I know with my doctor, I can usually get in for an office visit pretty quickly, but he always has a long waiting period when scheduling procedures because he only does them 1-2 days per week and since they take longer to complete, he sees fewer patients on those days.
  • I've had the dose packs a few times. 6-5-4-3-2-1. By the 3rd day I have felt the difference. Once I took a full dose and nothing happened. My surgeon told me I was past dose packs and didn't want to do more. There are long effects to Prednisone, especically in women. So don't be too quick to take more of them.

Waiting until late December to get an ESI is bogus. Call the doc and start pushing that the dose pack did nothing. Be prepared to take a cancellation of another patient on a moments notice. You might get in. Or get him to refer you to a PM clinic. They do this all day long.

If it's just a temporary injury then hopefully an ESI shot and some PT and you'll be good to go.
  • Be very careful with how much prednisone/medrol/cortisone/kenalog type of medications you take and how often. I was very recently diagnosed with avascular necrosis, which is believed to come from having too much prednisone/cortisone type of medication too often. It causes the bones in your joints to loose their blood supply and then the bone dies. Hip replacement,or other surgery to remove the bone, replace the joint or do a bone graft to treat the blood supply loss is the common course of treatment for this.
    I had never heard of it before, but now have it in my wrist and possibly my hips as well. I am waiting for the MRI to be done to determine what type of surgery I will need to try to re establish the blood supply or if they will need to remove that row of bones in my wrist to treat this.
  • For me the corticosteroid injection was very effective. Lasted 10 years until now. I'm re-injured again from running with a heavier frame. Finding some relief now with 800mg tabs of ibuprofen. It's manageable but I still have difficulty breathing through the pain sometimes. Like you my doctor has prescribed me oral prednisone to start. It's frustrating because having been through this before I know exactly what I need. Not only are the injections safer from side affects, the medicine is localized on the problem. Last time I had to change insurance to cut to the chase. I found a doctor who specializes in chronic back pain, found out what insurance he took. Then changed to get in to see him. I was fixed about three weeks after. If your in an area with a professional sports team, find out who provides spinal outpatient surgeries for them. I can recommend an excellent no nonsense doctor in the SF bay area if you're interested. Diet, physical therapy, exercise, and stretching are all going to be part of the solution so don't expect to get by on a pill or injection alone.