Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ileneiilene Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Last week my PT was more aggessive with massage and also gave me more exercises to do, I agreed to myself that I was ready. On next visit I was stiffer, and in more pain, my left foot felt weaker, all of which I told her. She asked if anything had happened, any "jolts", when I did remember stoping short, not short enough that my bag went to the floor, and I was wearing a soft, she then said that I had whiplash. I really thought I was stiff from her massage, but didn't say anything, and she again did less my next 2 visits. Tomorrow I am going back, and am getting concerned about my symptoms. Over the weekend my rt arm had similiar pain that I had preop, the kind of pain that I went to the ER for, and was admitted for pain control, luckily it only lasted around 10 min, it's the first time I have had this pain since surgery. Yesterday my right arm was tingling, and then my hand started to hurt and tingle. I thought when I went to bed things would relax, but this morning my hand was numb, and during the day it has continued to hurt, tingle and be numb. I am concerned that something has gone wrong, my apt with the surgeon is next week. I am very frightened, especially since it's been bothering for days now, and my foot remains feeling weaker then it has been. I know the PT said that if my foot remains weak that I should call my surgeons office, which is something I don't want to do, since I will only get as far as the office manager, and she will say all is expected after spine surgery...does this sound normal to you, I am 11 weeks post op ACDF C5-6.

• Could be important or it could be an excuse. I'm not sure I get the connection from whiplash to your foot. The rest is possible with whiplash but then it could also be the PT. Even the best PT can be too much too soon or the wrong exercise for you.

I stopped PT last week after the massages caused too much pain. I was also concerned because they never worked the same area. It seemed like every therapist had a different idea. Before I go back I want a detailed plan that is approved by my neurologist and neurosurgeon and supervised properly.

I would wait another day or so without PT and see what happens. If it gets better try to isolate what they are doing in PT to see if it is one particular exercise. I know I can't do the thera-band extending straight out.

Good Luck and let me know what happens.
  • I should have mentioned that I had a myelopathy prior to surgery and more rt sided weakness, but also had weakness of my left leg and foot. After surgery my left foot and leg became weaker then the rt, both have gotten stronger since surgery, till this all started, now my left foot is weak again. The PT felt that there was an inflamation caused the nerve to act up....I am afraid it is more then an inflamation. Guess I will find out next week when I see the surgeon. Amazing, I went for several opinions, and feel as though I should have picked a different doctor.

I am going to take your advice, I will go to PT tomorrow but will make sure that she takes it slower then she has been. She has been giving me massage, and think she is moving my neck to much, I really do think she caused this. Will not let her manipulate my neck as much as she did in the last 3 visits...I will be my own best advocate...
  • Myelopathy isn't something that goes away or is cured, it is something that the progression can be stopped or slowed, but not reversed.

Here's a great article that details cervical stenosis and myelopathy.

• I never knew what myelopathy was. Thanks for that info.

Ilene how did you do in PT today?

I am anxiously awaiting my neurosurgeon visit tomorrow. I'm in that dilemma of wanting surgery since it would be a confirmation that what I feel is real and hoping he is as lost as every other doctor because I really don't want surgery. Maybe I can get something in between....
  • Kris I thought I knew what myelopathy was, I knew it was the reason my handwriting changed, and that some of my other problems were coming from. I thought once the pressure was taken off the cord my spine the myelopathy would be a problem of the past. Thanks so much for this information.

I told my PT today to go easy on my neck, I told her that I like massage, and don't care if my muscles hurt when it is done, but that I don't want her pulling my neck into different positions. She listened to what I said, she did elisit some tingling in my hand, and stopped immmediately when I told her. I just hope I am doing the right thing by continuing.

Kris: how did you make out at the surgeon today...hope it went well, will take a look at posts to see if you wrote.

• after my car accident i had symptoms recur that i had prior to my surgery. My surgeon said it would take six months longer for my neck to heal because of the accident.I had lots of nerve pain and numbness return,and its slowly resolving but is taking a long time.if it hasn't been that long since your whiplash diagnosis i wouldn't be too concerned especially since it happened so soon after surgery.If you stop your PT and you have whiplash you may start to feel worse then you do.Sometimes you don't realize how much things help until you stop them.I took some time off a while ago to relax and destress and by the end of the week i was in worse pain because i hadn't gotten everything done that i normally did and was glad to go back the next week.I hope that you start feeling better soon!!!