Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trying to quit have a question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Stop Smoking
well today is my first day without a smoke. Using the chantix program.been a rough day. None the less I haven't broke down yet.

question is if I smoke a cigar or black and mild would that keep me from quiting cigs? I guess its kinda a fun question. I don't inhale cigars or blacks but I feel like I might as well be smoking a cig instead.

what do you guys think about all this??

• Hummm... not sure there. I am a smoker, and my best guess would be that introducing cigars and the like, doesn't that kind of defeat quitting? If you don't inhale, sure your lungs are good, but you are still taking in nicotine - no? Even not inhaling, you aren't you still getting nicotine via the skin contact in your mouth and throat? Dunno....

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • As far as i know... cigars and the like, are just as dangerous as a smoke. I think it would kind of defeat the purpose of quitting. But thats only my opinion. Ultimately, the decision is yours... and if it makes you happy, why not?

Good Job on day one =) keep up the good work. Remember, even if you slip, doesnt mean you "quit quitting" Keep on keepin on =)

Good Luck
  • Cigars and pipes are one of the major causes of oral cancer, but I imagine that's not your major concern.

If you want to stop, you need to reduce the amount of nicotine you're currently absorbing as Aviatrix is correct in thinking you absorb nicotine through the oral mucosa.

So the answer depends on your reason for wanting to stop smoking! If you don't mind having a nicotine addiction, smoke cigars or black & milds (whatever they are?!).

PS I smoke too, so if you find an easy answer on, 'how to stop smoking', please post it!!
  • but I didn't inhale, honest I didn't....

Come on smoking is smoking. You ingest tar, nicotine, and other chemicals. If you're going to take stopping serious then take it serious and put that stuff away. It'll suck right now. Later you'll be glad you did.

Chantix works quite well. Has some rough side effects so do your homework. If your head is in the right place then you can quit.

How bad do you want it is the question. Good luck.
  • Over here (UK), we have inhalers which look like short, werid, plastic cigarettes (in fact, they look nothing like cigarettes!). Anyway, nicotine cartridges are available and you slot them in when the old one is empty.

These fulfill 2 necessities in cigarette smokers - nictotine addition and oral fixation! Actually they're excellent when in any environment where you're unable to smoke.

Perhaps they'll help or are they the same thing to which you and ZO6 are referring (Chantix)? Apologies if so.
  • Val,

We have those here. They look more like a cigarette holder. You screw in a nicotine carttridge. Then just suck on it. So you act like you smoking and you get nicotine. This is NO good if you are fusing. You are still ingesting nicotine. If you can use to help you quit then good for you. I tried them with no success.

Chantix is a drug made by Pfeizer. It is specifically targeted at getting you to quit smoking. Chantix is the American name. In the UK and I believe in APAC it is called Champix.

• To ZO6,

Yes I thought they might be the same thing; after all, the UK follows the US in most things, especially health-related, so why not replacement cigarettes too. Pathetic really, especially with the advent of the internet and aeroplanes!

Anyway I've veered off topic. Junior didn't reply as to why he wants to give up smoking, so hopefully his questions have been answered.

Thanks Graham,

• What would make you stop, how can we help.

My dad smoked, not a lot just sufficient for it to be influential when the time came from another health problem.

I applaud you for trying and it is not easy.

What would motivate you to change.

Take care

• I'd think if your mindset is already... well, if I light up a cigar, I might as well smoke a cigarette.. then it's probably not a good idea. Regardless of what folks say... it's rarely the nicotine addiction that brings you back, it's missing something to do with your hands and mouth.

The inhaler things that I know of are called nicotrol inhaler and, along with the patch, are what have me at 9 months without a cigarette (the 24th was my 9 month mark).

I don't believe you can use the patch AND the inhaler full time, but, check with your doc. I explained to mine that the patches were helping with the initial detox if you will, but my old hand and mouth fixation was creating issues, especially when driving home. I was able to use the inhaler piece for 2-4 "puffs" during my drive time and it pretty much took care of most of my problems... I treated it like a "real cigarette" and tried to avoid using it at my desk and all at work.

I haven't smoked even once since Feb. 24th and I have no plans to do so again. I really enjoyed smoking, and truth to tell, still miss it, but I really like my improved breathing, the lack of stinkiness and the extra money I've had to pay all the increased prices this year;p

If you truly want to quit, I'm guessing you will succeed... just remind yourself that no one ever died for lack of a cigarette, get something todo with your hands ( i started to learn how to use a mini loom...) get some gum or mints or something that you can use to keep your mouth busy and you should be good to go!

Good luck! :)
  • Over here in the UK, the doctor has nothing to do with the patches, the gum or even the little plastic cigarettes. You can buy them at chemists, albeit at exorbitant prices.

If you want to get them free (in our part of the UK), you can see the doctor's nurse, who will prescribe everything you need and it's all free. However, this still means - no involvement with the doctor.

As for using patches along with the inhalers, over here it's a personal decision, although there are recommendations on the side of the boxes Therefore, you can chew gum, have your body covered with patches whilst smoking an inhaler if you so choose!
  • I actually know someone who had to resor to Chantix to quit his black & mild habit...so I'm thinking its not such a good idea either.
  • Junior hasn't commented for ages, so I'm wondering whether he's managed to quit now?!

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • I do wish we could delete the spam... it's one of those little irksome things for me ;p

Anyway, just as an update (since Junior hasn't been back) I'm now at 1 and a half years (18 months) without smoking.

Still glad I quit, still miss it, still won't go back to it. It's one of those things that always make me wonder.... I can't by a claritin D without showing my drivers license AND signing a government agreement that I'm not going to run out and make a home meth lab or whatever.... but I can get as much booze or cigarettes as I want! Got to love the lobbyists, LOL

Oh, and I have NO idea where the "extra" money went, lol! I surely don't have it :P

ps- for those wanting to try Chantrix, I've seen the tv commercials and it says you can smoke during the first week while it gets into your system. I have no idea of how or if it works, I didn't use it... but thought it might help others.