Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc replacement

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Lower Back Pain
A lot of you guys/gals talk about fusion, how many of you have entertained the idea or had the option of getting artificial disc replacement? Seems like it would be a lot better to replace the faulty disc with the replacement rather than fuse the bones together.

• Yes, in some cases, it is a better solution. But there are also disqualifying factors that prevent many patients from having disc replacement.

Now many insurance companies are being very difficult about giving permission for this procedure as some of the data is coming back showing an increase in problems that wasn't indicated earlier. Several people on the board thought they were having ADR only to find out insurance would cover a fusion but not ADR.

I think it is fair to say that it is not yet enjoying a superior reputation in the states.

How are you coming along with your injuries?? I do not have any idea how long it takes for muscle and soft tissue to heal.

• :H I had both done to my back. :H

Evelyn O:)
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • for those that don't know me i am in the uk Manchester and after 15 years of back pain and 2 failed operations i have very little options left to me ,,one surgeon has suggested ADR so i am waiting for a consultation with a top ADR surgeon in the north {22 dec} and after i have seen him i will make up my mind what to do ..i am a bit hesitant after 2 failed operations and being ground in to the earth with constant pain i am worried that i may make another mistake,,i am 43 married and would like a pain free life {like you all would}.ADR is not an operation to rush into ..i know there are a few on here that have had a good result with it but i know of others that are in more pain .and to be honest with you the thought of more pain and misery i think would push me over the edge .i have done well to keep sane over the last 2 years ...as i have suffered with appalling pain since my last operation and a sever drop in quality of life .all i do is lay in my recliner ..anything else make things worse .sorry for going on but i have been up again all night and i an so fed up with this bloody pain
  • the decision any harder but I wanted to tell you something that my doc told me yesterday. First I must tell you that he has absolutely no faith at all in ADR. He actually told me yesterday that he would bet that in the next 4 years they will not even be available anymore. Anyway, he has a colleague that had an ADR done. Now he is not able to sit or stand for more than 15 minutes at a time and must lay down every 30 minutes. I have also seen a few here with success but I am really wondering how successful it will be long term. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • Seems to take forever for the tendons to repair themselves, but so far as we (the docs and I ) can tell half the muscle is torn off the bone. So I may never heal past a certain point.
    I'm getting a CT scan in a month or two for another unrelated tendon injury (seeing a trend here....) and I'm going to ask the radiologist to image my torn QL to verify the diagnosis. Tell you what, I turned 36 and my body just fell to pieces.

Back to the disk replacement. Maybe its just my own perception of it, but it always seemed like some sort of bionic man replacement device - remove the faulty discs and replace them with man-made cushions far more effective. But I guess one thing against them is that they aren't nearly as securely attached to the bone as the original discs were so they might put lateral forces on the spine that normally wouldn't show up.
  • I am going for the ADR after much prompting from my Neurosurgeon. I plan to pay cash and go to the best Dr. who invented the Pro-Disc.
This discussion has been closed.