Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervicogenic Vertigo and Cervical Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm new to spine-health and am a 46 years old mother of two that works full time. My cervical injuries began in 1989 - two high impact front end collisions that occurred within thirty days of eachother. I've had chronic cervical pain for 20 years. I also had pinched nerve in the lumbar region from an injury in 1985 that resulted in numbness in leg. My MRI/Xray history is below. The chronic pain has been progressive to the point that I am considering either changing occupations or working part time.

In 1999 I flew on a plane and heard a "pop" in my ears that resulted in acute vertigo and basilar migraines. For the past 10 years the vertigo and migraines have consumed my life as well in addition to the cervical and lumbar pain. In 2004 I accidently dropped my two year old on the floor because my right arm went numb and learned I had disc bulges in various cervical lower discs. It was recommended I have ACDF by one neurosurgeon, but a second opinion in 2007 said that was the wrong thing to do.

In 2008 I learned I had 3 types of vertigo: vestibular positional vertigo, basilar vertigo that contributed to the migraines, and now cervicogenic vertigo caused by instability of C2-3 (can't hold head up). This is disabling and the neurosurgeon recommends physical therapy to avoid surgery.

Has anyone experienced this? I wonder if there is a "cervicogenic vertigo" support group out there somewhere that might have some recommendations. I've been on disability for two months because I get vertigo when I drive. This can't go on... does anyone have suggestions?

9/17/2009 - Cervical Xray
-Subluxation between C2-3
-5 spurs and arthritis throughout cervical spine
-DDD changed from moderate to severe
-Increase in minimal to mild disc space narrowing from C5-6 thru C-7-T1
4/23/2008 - MRI Lumbar Spine
-DDD changes at L5-S1 with a small posterior midline focal disk prodtrusion, with mild mass effect on the emerging right S1 nerve root
4/9/2007 - MRI Cervical Spine
-Slight reversal of cervical lordosis centered on C4 level
-C5-6 mild spurring at the foraminal level on the right with slight central bulging of the disc with compromise of the cord and mild foraminal narrowing laterally on the left.
-C6-7 mild left paracentral disc protrusion and mild foraminal narrowing laterally on the left.
9/2/2004 - Cervical Xray
- DDD w/minimal right paramedian disc protrusion at C5-C6 and minimal left paramedian dis rotrusion at C6-7
- Minor disc bulging at C3-4 and C4-5
6/26/2001 - Cervical Xray
- Mild posterior spurring at C3-4, C4-5, and C5-6 on the right.
- Cervical lordosis

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I am a 4 times cervical surgery patient and had to deal with the vertigo. It was horrible and scary not knowing when it was going to hit. I had episodes while driving so had to quit driving until I had my last surgery. I have not had an episode since my last surgery almost 5 months ago.
  • I have cervicogenic vertigo caused by at least 3 herniated discs in my neck and DDD, I have more spine issues. I was in a car accident 3 yrs ago and then reinjured 2 yrs ago. any thign I do agrevates the pain and the vertigo. I always have vertigo, I cant afford proper medical care currently in other words - MRI of brain and nuerologist , I do see a ortho. But ortho doesnt know what to do for vertigo - meclizine makes it worse! valium helped, but I dont have currently. I will get dizzy if I turn head , to right , or doen. and any moves I make - from making toast to walking/ traveling in car - coms back to me in vertigo motions and feelings - example if I go to the city for a drive - I will feel like i'm moving for days! Sometimes I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster!

I cant do anything for too long - I will have to post more another time........
    I cant work or drive, or lift more than 2 lbs w/ out exacerbating the condition.

more later
  • That was actually my first and only symptom before my first surgery, and the ns did not think it was related or would resolve with surgery. It was and it did. It's miserable, and I'm having it again all the time now.

Paul, I'd be interested in that group, too.

• Bubblegum, I'm no health professional, but if I had your symptoms after a fall, I'd be calling my doctor and getting a new MRI. My three level is right where yours is, and I can only think that you might have ruptured the disc above or below your instrumentation if you're having the same symptoms I am.

Call the ns, and good luck!