Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How do you manage?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Any good tips for managing with chronic pain? I have a re-herniation and scar tissue at L5/S1 as well as issues with my SI joints. I have to work half days as I can't sit all day. This has been going on over a year and I am miserable.I have had 7 injections since last December and none have helped. Any tips on what you do to get you through the pain? I've tried ice,heat,rest,etc. If I have my fentanyl patch on and percocet going and I'm laying on my right side with heat I'm not bad but I can't live my life like that.

• Has there been any talk of more surgery? You might want to look into some of the newer procedures for fusion that are only done at the L5-S1 level.(AxiaLIF by Trans 1). You could try to have the scar tissue removed at the same time. If this surgery would result in getting the nerve freed up, it might be worth looking into.
  • I went to the interventional radiologist today and he said he wants to do two more injections and if that doesn't work he'll have me talk to some surgeons. He can't get the injection to go where he wants it to because the scar tissue is blocking it. The surgeon that did my 2 surgeries is leaving town (I see him Monday to see what he thinks based on the MRI)I'm afraid I may end up having to have a fusion. I would hate to have another surgery but I can't continue living like this. Do you work? I have a ft job but can only work pt as I can't sit all day. I feel like work is getting very irritated after having to deal with this for 2 years. I don't know how to keep up with my life when I am in so much pain. The Dr today wanted to take me off the fentanyl patch and replace it with Ultram ER. I don't see how that could help when I am still in pain even with the fentanyl. How bad was your lumbar surgery? Still having radiculopathy?
  • its a no win situation i am surprised that you can work .i have had 2 operations and i have lost count of how many spinal procedures.i am now considering artificial disc surgery but i am having to seriously think about it ...its not something to just jump in to..my advice to you is to avoid any more surgery if you can .because you will be made weaker every time they open you up.and you think that you are in pain now ? and i am sure that you are but after more surgery you will be in even more pain and so it goes on .it gets to a stage where surgery is unable to offer a solution that is going to help you and would do more harm than good ..i would talk to you doctor about increasing your pain killers and you could try a good TENS as well as your pain killers .at night you may want to think about a new bed i would recommend an electrical adjustable bed with a sprung and memory foam mattress ..if this would not a financial option you could get a memory foam overlay for your original mattress ..i have found that a complete memory foam mattress is too hard and a nightmare to get off with a bad back .con try to what the add men would have you believe ..also you may want to get yourself a recliner ..its the only think i can get comfy on...living with back pain is a full time job i believe that i am one of the worst cases on spine health i am sure that there are people with worse pain than me but i know that there are many here that lead a normalish life compared to me.so i know a bit about tyring to manage pain ..but even with all my gadgets and pain sprays and pills i have to give up most days and juts try to sleep the day away .i am waiting for results on my MRI scan i will get then soon .then maybe another operation!!!

This discussion has been closed.