Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need to know info for applying for Disability and SSI

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Health Insurance Issues
1. Apply for Disability and SSI
2. Add your children, most times when you end up receiving disabilty, yourt children receives benefits.
3. Get a Disability Atty
4. Understand Social Sec will not gather your evidence for you, either do it yourself or have atty do it.
5. My atty asked me: Out of the four Doctors you see which one knows the most and will be willing to support your application with a supporting statement?
6. If you get Denied, Appeal ASAP, get a hearing!
7. When you do receive your *Letters of Award* one will come for Disabilty, one for SSi and if you included your kids they all come seperate from each other! And not neccesarily the same day! They are different Departments and thats why they come that way!
8. You will likely get your monthly payment started first and then at some point receive back owed monies, or in the reverse!
9. Dont be afraid to call Social security, I did because I was being impatient and they were kind enough to tell me the Letter of award was mailed and monthly payments started in Dec for me.
10. Dont be afraid of a Vocational expert, they do not care about the outcome:ie-whether or not Social Security has to pay out!

• thanks. I did ( NOT ) add my children when I applied. I won my case and just received my first check last week.
    Can I ask why would children be eligible for payments for my disability? and can I get them added?
  • but I don't know if I agree with this. I would not get an attorney until after the first denial and I did not have to gather my own info. SS sent letters out to my docs to request the info. My opinion is that the Voc Rehab Expert is not on your side and will try and come up with any type of work that you can do in order to stop you from getting benefits.
  • are you sure that your attorney did not add them? They are eligible for payments until they are 18 years old. If your atty did not you may want to call SS and have them added.
    Don't forget that you will also be entitled to the $250 stimulus that went out to SS recipients this year.
  • I didn't get an attorney and was approved within 6wks. I completed some information online first and then they called and asked me questions over the phone. At that time, they asked about my dependent children and added them for me. I didn't know they would get money too.

From my understanding your children get up to 1/2 of what your monthly amount is and is split evenly with each child.

If your spouse meets certain requirements, he may be eligible. In that case the money would be split equally between children and spouse.

Also, if your spouse is eligible, he will also recieve the $250 award in addition to you. I beleive they determine whether your spouse is eligible based on his salary.

I'm not sure if this varies state to state. I'm going by my own experience and I live in NY.

PS...dependent children are not eligible for the $250 stimulus.
  • my case without an attorney. SS gathered all info for me as well. My process was very simple. I didn't have to do anything after I filled out the online application except send SS the signed autho forms they sent me to request all my records. The first time I applied I was denied. Then I appealed and was denied again. A year later I applied (July 09), and found out I was approved last week because I got a letter from SS stating I needed to fill out the applications for my children. When I followed up, it was confirmed by a SS rep that I was approved.

I'm sure in some cases you are right Laurie, but not in my case.

• Your children are eligible to receive "dependent benefit" checks each month, but only for the SSDI... Because they count on your earnings for general necessities. If you are divorced and/or do not have custody of your children, no problem. The checks will go directly to them (via the custodial parent).

This is not the case with the SSI claims. As this money comes from a general tax fund.

The amount the children receive varies. Usually, you will receive a statement each year called an EARNINGS STATEMENT. This will have the amount you've contributed to Soc Sec and how much you would receive if you retire. There is also an amount for Disabilit. Check under that for the TOTAL FAMILY BENEFIT AMOUNT. Minus from that, your monthly benefit amount on SSDI and the remained is what the children will receive (which will be divided by each child).

Laurie Ann made some good suggestions; only problem is that each case is different. 2 claims may appear to be the exact same, but there are so many variables that come into play.

Main thing to know is:

Have all information available (doctor names/addresses or at least phone numbers/date of last treatment, date of next visit); banking information, names, dates of birth and SSNs for any dependents. This will be needed in the event you are approved.

Process all paperwork timely. Your disability claim cannot be processed without certain information.

Notify SSA if you see a doctor during the time your claim is being processed.

It's best to wait until you are denied before hiring an attorney. This is because at the initial level, they will do absolutely NOTHING on your claim until it is denied. You really don't want an attorney to be paid if they aren't doing anything, right? They do, however, earn their keep in the appeal process.

Request Appeals within a day or 2. They are processed on a "date received" order. The sooner you get it in, the sooner you'll have your hearing (sometime within the year or 2...!)

Hire an attorney who only specializes in disability claims. I would stay away from larger firms because cases tend to get lost in the shuffle... Go for a local one- or two-attorney office, and check in at least once a month.

Notify your attorney each time you see your doctor/s.

Don't be afraid to call for status reports at least once a month.

Always, ALWAYS report changes in address, phone number, family dynamics, treatment...

Most of all, be prepared to hurry up and wait.