Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

shirleysshirley Posts: 201
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Water Cooler
i read in a magazine this week that knitting is making a huge comeback, it is being suggested all NHS hospitals encourage patients to take it up, it said it can heal so many probs much faster ? the brain cannot deal with pain and concentrating on knitting so im going to fish out my old needles get some wool and off i go.
just wondering how many will join me ? thought i might make some prem baby cardigans and take them to local hosp

• Hi Shirley,

I love to knit, though with my arthritic hands it makes it more difficult. I find it very relaxing and distracting. I knit for premie charities as well, hats and socks. My favorite thing to knit are baby and toddler socks. I'm knitting a pair for a great nephew's Christmas gift. I also knit socks for myself.

Happy knitting!

• I don't know how to knit but I do crochet. Over the years I made dozens of baby blankets for Project Linus to distribute to hospitals.

Just this past week I started making preemie hats. When my daughter was a preemie in the NICU she was given a hat made by a local group of ladies. It was so nice, because many women have no idea they are having a preemie and don't have hats, clothes, etc.

I think knitting and crocheting are excellent ways to distract ourselves and that you can donate your stuff, so much the better.
  • In the past I would do a lot of knitting and crochet, but in the last 6 years, I've gotten into beading! I do a lot of "off loom" stuff so I can take it with me when I travel, but the same mentality applies with it - relaxation! I have to take frequent breaks though because my neck doesn't care for being bent forward more than 10 minutes or so. It is very soothing though for me. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.