Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatca and Avulsion fracture all following Lumbar Fusion

frankie062ffrankie062 Posts: 13
Well I had my Lumbar Fusion on the 6/10/09. During my time HDU I had an epidural which was stopped for an hour just to cxheck to see if I could move my toes. The epidural was forgotten to be topped up again,!!!! during this time my left leg was dropped from a bent knee position causing an avulsion fracture near to the bone donor site !!!!. I came home after 10 days on crutches due to the fracture and now also have severe sciatica in my right leg (which I had never had a problem with).

the incident in HDU had not been recorded in any of the nurses medical notes !!! this has aslo lengthened my return to work. My pain relief is still not fully under control. I am unable to have a full nights sleep and spend most nights crying in pain.

Having seen my consultant the fusion was a success I need another MRI to see if another disc is causing the sciatica if so another fusion will be needed. "basically my spine is a mess" I have had four ops in five months and can't face another, yet I can't continue or work in the pain I am in. I love my job and wish to return as soon as possible.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Frankie,

That sounds awful. Are you able to claim for their mistake?

I'm so sorry for what you're going through - it sounds like a nightmare and apologies for not being able to help more.

Best wishes,

Val
  • Following 4 opperations a CT scan in feb shows I have a narrowing of the spinal canal at L45 due to a combination of broad based posterior disc protrusion and bilateral ligamentum flavum thickening. Comminuted fracture of the anterior aspect of the left iliac blade.
    I understand the comminuted facture, but can anyone help me understand the rest ?? please.

Since my first Op in June 2009, microdisectomy, re exploration and a laminectomy and then following the decompression of cauda equina I had an anterior limbar spinal fusion. I now have a numb right foot previously all my pain numbness etc was on the left hand side. I am also in continuous pain from the comminuted fracture.

Can anyone help