Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

trouble walking distances with facet joint syndrome

in painiin pain Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:38 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi i was just wondering if anybody else has trouble , or is it normal to have a difficult time walking any great distance with facet joint syndrome. Also my pain gets worse the further I go and feels like everything is going to lock up. Thanks for reading my post. Just trying to get some answers.

• My back locks up on me when I try and walk any distance at all. I often get stuck in a hunched over position. Have you had a facet rhizotomy? I have found this to be helpful.
  • along with everything else i have facet joint hypertrophy and i cant walk far as it hurts like hell just to stand !
  • Count me in. Walking seems to start out ok, but then I get to the point where it hits me and I have to sit down. Standing for any length of time is also very difficult.
  • I have severe facet hypertrophy from L2 to L5 bilateral and OA in hands, knees and ankles. I cannot walk far either, but I am able to ride a stationary bike. You might considered that.

• I know how you feel. I've had to just stop to recover, then return home after getting only a short way, and creeping slowly along.
    For me, it has always been a pelvic joint locked up, and the chiro frees it up for me.

However, in your case, I'd suggest that the pain is causing you to rest a lot and not do much of anything, for fear of the pain.
    As a result, your muscle tone and overall fitness will be at a very low level.
    Your muscles are working hard to protect the spine, and probably never relax. So when you walk, they are too knotted up to allow it as they can't stretch.
    Pain is saying STOP!!!

Start to get better by giving your stressed back muscles a bit of TLC, with a remedial massage.

You might want to consider having one on a regular basis as part of a maintenance program to keep you mobile.

Bodies need more of this sort of care than we generally give them.
  • :H Hi, I used to be one of those crazy power-walkers, a mile in eight minutes, four miles a day. I miss it terribly. But, I can ride my stationary bike for almost an hour at a decent pace. At least it makes me feel as though I am still able to stay in somewhat decent shape. When I take my dog for a walk we start out all gung-ho then boom! I seem to lock up all across the lumbar region. My fusion was in '05 and it is deterioriating rapidly this past year.

At least try the bike, it will give you a good cardio workout and for me it keeps me from hunching over due to the pain.

Good Luck,

Donna :)
  • I too have trouble with sustained walking (sustained anything, really), but I'm not sure it's my facet joints or the stenosis (or both), in my case. I find that when I go out I am okay for anything from 10-30 minutes (half that if I am carrying things), and then I start having problems. The pain gets more and more severe, my legs get weaker and weaker, and I have to stop and lean on things, sit down, or semi-collapse against the nearest wall if there is nowhere to sit. It's embarrassing, and all the more disheartening since I've always been a strong, fast walker. I'm also familiar with the 'lumbar lock-up' being described. It's like my back is being squeezed in an ever-tightening vice. I caught myself in a mirror when I was out shopping the other day, and I swear I looked like Frankenstein's monster, shuffling along...
This discussion has been closed.