Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Significant soreness & stiffness all spine and hip after night;s sleep

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had TLIF L5/S1 on 10/27. Almost all my spine affected as well as hip. So bad this morning had to take a Percacet to get pain down. It has happened on several mornings now. I know I am early in healing pocess but is this kind of pain normal? Or, could I have over exerted even though I have been taking it easy and slow? I slept on my back. Could this aggrevate things?

• I don't understand what you mean as to a post not a topic -- if you want the answer to a question, you have to ask it, no? Any way, if you are only a month out from a fusion surgery and only need to take a percocet in the morning because you've been sleeping in one position and you're painful, I'd say you are doing very well. How are you sleeping? On your back? On your side with a pillow between your knees? Using a body pillow? A lot of these things can make a difference. I'm sorry you're having the morning pain, but it does sound as though you are doing pretty well.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I agree with Linda. If you are only taking 1 pain pill a month out, you are in good shape. I think sleeping on your back is good, a lot better than on your stomach or side (I twist when I'm on my side, you might not).
  • Laying on your side can also cause bursitis, which I have in both hips, and it can be in two places in one hip. It is really painful, and I have had bursitis for years on and off now, even without laying on my hips.

I have not had a fusion, and am post surgery. I left one huge post last night. At any rate, I would say, ask your doctor what is best. Before the trouble I have had started, I have done stretches like knee to chest - can't do it very far at first, but then it gets better and pain in back eases up. But, DO NOT DO it without consulting your doctor! They should be really helpful about this and you shouldn't have to have a follow-up appointment just to ask this question. However, due keep your follow-up appoitments! Best of luck, and hang in there!