Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Double level fusion L4-5 LS1

jenfabjjenfab Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I just came back from an appt. w/ my surgeon and am going to be having a fusion at the levels listed in my subject line. He said I will have two different incision sites...One in the front and one in the back. Is this normal? I am scared to death...I went in there hoping for a double disc replacement...but see now that is so not feasable due to insurance coverage etc.
Any info or experiences would be great. I pray to god I am doing the right thing...but am in so much everyday pain, I cant see it getting much worse.
My recent discogram really showed my discs are severly degenerated and have grade 5 tears in both.
Thanks for any info.

• Maybe you could have fusion at L5-S1 and adr at L4-5.
  • I'm so sorry to hear you're still in pain after two discectomies. Dang! Fusion is not for the faint of heart, but they do tell me that you eventually recover from it. I had three levels done last November and am still very stiff and sore, but I'd have to say that the intense pain I suffered pre-surgery is largely gone. I was hardy and active before my surgery, but now I must weigh everything by, "will doing this hurt my back?" You must be prepared to avoid lifting, reaching, twisting, bending, etc., as folks with a fusion (especially a multi-level) are constantly at risk for damaging the discs above or below their fusion site (yours would be all above).

So, yes, the fusion will probably help to stop the majority of your extreme pain, but you must be prepared for a long recovery and you must be prepared for being careful with your spine for the rest of your life. I wish you the very best.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.