Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back brace

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:39 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had a lumbar fusion from L4-S1 three and a half weeks ago. My doctor is advising that I wear a back brace when I stand or walk.

I don't see the necessity of having a back brace. What are the advantages of wearing one??

• Sorry to change the subject on you, but I may have to get a fusion at the same levels you mentioned and I was just wondering how it went for you and how your recovery is going. I'm terrified.
  • I beleive the brace is needed in order to keep your spine stable until fusion starts to take place. It takes time for your body to fuse and until then, the hardware is what is holding it together. I would follow your surgeon's orders.
  • A brace will keep your spine stable and prevent you from twisting, turning or bending in ways that will cause pain. I have not yet had a fusion but I do wear a back brace. I went to an orthotics place and got fitted for mine. It has metal stays in the fromt and back. Looks like a corsette. It laces up on both sides so that you can pull it tight. I wear this if I go shopping or for many types of activities. It does help me alot. A tip that the person that fitted me for it gave me was very helpful. I wear a tight fitting ribbed tank style t shirt underneath it. It keeps it from rubbing on my skin or digging in to me. I hope that this helped you and good luck.
  • Don't be terrfied!

I got relief from the sciatica pain very quickly after surgery.

Expect to give your body 2-3 months to fully recover after surgery.
  • It is all about stability. Mine insisted on it. The other thing is it is a good money maker. The ones surgeons use are not the $100 you can get online or at the pharmacy. Mine was something like $1,300.

That said. This thing has the removable plastic brace insert. It is multi-adjustable. Covers lower back and around to hips. It has adjustable straps to pull it in snug like a corset. So it holds your spine in the proper curvature and support so you don't tug on the hardware.

Mine said for riding in the vehicle an walking the 1st month to use it. Then wean my way out of it for walking. But keep it for riding in cars for a few months. It can be worn with the plastic so as I wean away from it I use it without the plastic insert.

It also really helps stop you from slouching.
  • I am in one as well.Was told wear for 6 weeks when walking and up and around and in car.It so you do not move and twist as we know body does that.I also have a spinal stimulater have to wear for 12 weeks..

• is right about the slouching. You could not slouch if you wanted to in one of these things. And I do not even have the plastic insert!
This discussion has been closed.