Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgury scheduled 11/24

tb7108ttb7108 Posts: 35
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:39 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
This one went fast.... hardly had time to get the pre surgery anxiety untill now. I just recieved a call from the Dr's office.
I will be having my 3 back surgery on Tuesday C6-T1 laminectomy. Wish me luck. I can hardly wait to feel my fingers on my left hand again.
advertisement

Comments

• Wow, that was quick. Are they going in posteriorly?

Good luck on your surgery - I hope the time passes quickly for you and that the recovery isn't too bad.

We'll look for your post-op post and hope you have good things to report, including having feeling back in your hand.

Cath
  • They are going posteriory,Should be just like the one I had at C6-C7 last year. Off to my Primary Dr for a pre-opt exam.
  • What day is your surgery? I hope it goes well and I will be very interested how you do afterwards. I am have the same the Dec. 2nd, my 2nd surgery in one year. This time C4-T2 from the back of the neck with pate, bone grafts and rods. I don't know about you but I am not looking forward to going through this but if it will improve my pain level I am ready.
    Will be thinking about you, good luck.
    Rick
  • tb7108 said:
    Sorry C7-T1
    Good luck on your surgery!!! My C7/T1 is losing disk space and has bone spurs. I was told if he has to "fix" it, it will be posterior as well - so I will be VERY interested to see how it goes for ya!!! Take care, and wishing you well!!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Finished all my blood work today and chest xrays, preopt physical.
    The pain has worstened and I had a rough weekend.
    Several times I thought I was going to the ER for pai relief.
    Finishing up at work and will be on my way home for another restless painful night. I will be checking into the hospital at 8:30 Am and they plan on doing the surgury arount 10. This will be my last post untill post op. Best wishes and have happy thoughts tomorrow morning.

Thanks,
    Todd

• Hi Todd,

I will be thinking about you tomorrow, let us know how you are doing you will be in my prayers.

Rick
  • God's Speed to you. I made it through mine and will be keeping you in prayer tomorrow.

Rick C.
  • Good luck Todd.

See you on the flip side :O)

Julie
  • Todd,

Wishing you well man! See you on the upside!! Take care.
    :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • My surgery was also scheduled for tomorrow, which happens to be my birthday. It was canceled and rescheduled for Dec. 2nd. I'm having ACDF c5-6 and c6-7 and I know the pre-surgery jitters are starting to get to me. I wish you luck and hope you have a fast recovery, keep us posted.

Lew
  • I dreed going to bed as Iknow it will be a sleepless painful night....I would like to thank everyone who replied to this thread to give me hope on tomorrowIam scared and worried and I know thats normal. I can only thrive on knowing the pain will hopefully diminsh and I can focous on the other chronic pian issues we spineys seem to never ecsape.
    good luck to everyone.....
  • 11/24 The c7/t1 went without a hitch the doc gave it a 95% he found the problems and fixed them, the incesion was very large aprox. 6inches with about 60 staples. Spent the usual 24hrs in the hospital and was discharged, I felt great no Arm pain no throbing shoulder pain...Fingers were still numb as I rememmber the last surgery this will take time. Recoverd nicely and was thinking of going back to work 1n the next week or two and then the bottom fell out i wole up at 4am throwing up 12/10, the bed was soaked fron the 102 degree fever called the dr in the morning and they asked what the wound looked like, normal and no leaking. They said it was a stomach flu and I must have picked it up at the office while getting half the staples out the day before.....Long story short I woke 12/13 with a screaming head ach, 102 fever, pain in my neck was off the chart and my wound had fluids running out of the top and bottom of the incesion called the nuro and my wife and I were on the way the the ER.
    The pain was being mangaged and they ordered a MRI.
    Then it was off to surgery I nasty staph infection had take over my body.They openend the wound and cleaned everything up massive antibotics and 5 days in the hospital I'am back home.
    I have an open wound in my neck and back that is aprox 2" x 7" and 2" inches deep, I have a wound care pack and a nurse coming to the house 3 times a week to service the wound.
    Glad to be heading in the right direction and am very glad to be alive
  • OMG- that is terrible.

I hope you get healed and healthy.

Julie
  • From doing great to WHAM! You're story is definitely one we should all pay attention to - those staph infections are nasty nasty!

So glad you are healing - keep us updated.
  • after the 2nd surgury to clean the surgical wound, 5 days in the hospital with major antibiotics and then sent home with a 12 day supply of oral antibiotics I started having major pains in my neck and chest, my wound care nurse sent in a swab from the hole in my back (4inches wide, 7 inches long) came back positive with staph. My surgeon ordered a MRI and it confirmed staph has reached my spine, they called it osteomyelitis They are putting in a PICC line tonight with more antibiotics. How can this happen? The staph was treated 14 days after the C7-T1 lamenectomy. The surgeon performed a 2 surgury to debrief or whatever they call it and that mri showed it had not reached the spine.
    I have lost all faith in the medical communty. I'am terrified about information i have found when you google osteomyelitis. I have never been so confused and scared.
    I have been out of work for 6 weeks and I see no light in the tunnel.

Todd
  • Todd,

I am sorry for you. I have no information for you other than try to stay positive.

Hang in there,

Julie
  • Whoa, I'm sorry you're going through this again. Those staph infections are awful and obviously difficult to treat, but not impossible.

I'm glad you're on antibiotics. From what I've read, that is definitely the first step to treat osteomyelitis. I've actually read some things regarding treatment and outcomes about osteomyelitis that are positive and I think, with this aggressive treatment you're getting, you can get past this.

I know it's a hurdle that you don't need, but you've got to do what the doc says to get yourself better.

Take care, Todd. I'm sending you a big hug, and am anxious to hear about your progress.

Cath
  • Hi Everyone,

I have not posted for a long time, I though I would give everyone an update, finally off all my antibiotics and feel ok. My life has been turned upside down by the Staph infection and has left me with a large hole between my shoulders, 3 fingers on my left hand are useless and a loud ringing in my left ear that never stops. After the original surgury C7-T1 Lami I dont recall the ringing in my ear. I think after the 2 surgury for the Staph is when I noticed this ringing.
    Anyone have this after cervical trama?
    I have become very depressed over the past few months my Dr. has increased my Cymbalta to 90MG/day.
    Its been a couple of weeks and I dont feel any improvement. I think I should find a Psychiatrist that can help me with my near death expierience that also has a strong foundation in pain management. After 4 spinal surguries I guess the side effects are better than the 7-10 pain scale before I had before each procedure.
    I managed to keep my job while recovering however my marriage is on the rocks and heading for divorce.
    The only good news I have is I'am alive.
    P.S. I will never allow any Pain Management Dr. to inject anything into my Cervical spine again per my Nuro....very little room for error in the cervical spine, not saying anything happened from the 3 or 4 shots I had before surgury.

Take care Everyone,
    Todd
advertisement